Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I read in Bugle magazaine about how an elk hunter becomes a vegetarian a month or two before season. Reason being is for scent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read in Bugle magazaine about how an elk hunter becomes a vegetarian a month or two before season. Reason being is for scent

I read in Bugle magazaine about how an elk hunter becomes a vegetarian a month or two before season. Reason being is for scent control. The theory is that since Elk's main predators are carnivores, the predators emmit a scent from the red meat they eat and the Elk can smell that. What say you - legit or junk science?

Most of the granola types in the parks and wreck program at the university where my late wife worked were vegans. You didn't want to get stuck in the elevator with them! Peewie ... ugh! They smelled a lot worse than any meat eater I have known.

Comment

Junk science, If you stay down wind and out of site you are fine, and if you want to climb up and down all of those ridges, you better be eating protein!

Comment

waste of time. play the wind, just like with deer.

Comment

LEGIT...back in the Day (Vietnam) most all LRRP members would eat nothing but Rice,Tuna Fish,Greens
          only. and Wash our B.D.Us in river water with No Soap.So not to smell in the Bush on a Snoop & Locate mission...just like Hunting for Elk and other types of Big Game, But with sent-lock Cammo
          No need to wash in river water..Lol

Comment

Crap. Human have been eating meat for hundreds of years. Those same humans have been killing elk for hundreds of years. Pretty sure I had a bacon and egg breakast before I killed my last elk. Play the wind. Enough said.

Comment

The only reason I would go vegan a month or two before elk season is if my freezer was bare :-(

Tree, that's a new one on me....

Comment

ya that sounds dumb i mean it may work but playing the wind is much easier than two months of crap

Comment

I don't care wether it works or not. I will stay down wind and out of site. I love the stuff way to much to ever become a vegan

Comment

Sounds like a rumor that was started by the Humane Society or Peta.

Back in time during the prehistoric cavemen their diet was mostly meat.
                    They were awesome hunters who only used spears, clubs and rocks to kill their prey including the giant ferocious brown bears.

Comment

Some Vegans were sick murderers like Adolph Hitler and Charles Manson. The lack of protein may cause it?

Check out the link below and scroll down with the list of mad vegan killers.

www.vegetariansareevil.com/killers.html

Comment

Red Meat aside there is a host of other aromas at work. I do not believe other Herbivores smell of Hoppes #9. So I think working the wind is your best option.

Comment

Hmmm. Treestand, tuna fish smells less than hamburger? I don't think so! Perhaps recon patrols were trying to familiarize their digestive systems with the food of their prey so it would be easier to forage from the supplies of the enemy.

Comment

True true true. I am a red meat and potatoes farm boy and have decided to only do it when i get a trophy elk tag here in az. I did it 2 years ago. Changing to a vegan diet actually changes your hormone levels(this is why it can make you feel like you are dying) and the proteins in your sweat. When your gut digests red meet it produces more formic acid, sulfur dioxide, and many other compounds. When you compare this to a all vegan diet it is amazing how much less things are produced. (note methane is produced at a much higher rate with a vegan diet meaning you will have the loudest farts of your life but they wont smell as bad,,,,Usually) Honker about your first point i think it has to due with the fact that soap an water burns them like the wicked witch.

Comment

I forgot to add that i killed a 374 bull on that hunt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad