Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So,I just got my hunting license and completed a course as well so, I learned good facts about hunting. I'd like to start with T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So,I just got my hunting license and completed a course as well so, I learned good facts about hunting. I'd like to start with T

So,I just got my hunting license and completed a course as well so, I learned good facts about hunting. I'd like to start with Turkey first, but I am also interested in deer hunting. What are some good tips to remember for deer hunting and hunting in general? Some good firearms as well? Right now, I will be purchasing a Winchester Super X Shotgun which can shoot buckshot or rifled slugs. What are your opinions? Anything helps. Thanks!

Welcome to F&S...and Congrats. TIPS, Deer Play the wind keep it in your face,Bullet placement is Paramount. Turkeys good face and hands Camo, Full chock works best,Duplex load of 4&6Shot works best for me. others on this site will offer more tips.
    Good Luck....Hunt Safe.

Comment

I assume you will be hunting in a state that is shotguns only. the gun you mentioned is a good choice. What do you mean by BUCKSHOT, because it is not a good thing to use on turkeys, normal shotshells as mentioned by treestand is what you want, Buckshot such as 00 buck or number 4 buck is a specific brand of shotshells and is not the same as regular shotshell such as #6 or 7/1/2 shot size. If the barrel on your gun is rifled then i would not shoot buckshot thru it. as for slugs buy 3 or more brands to find out which brands shoots the best from your gun. If your gun is a smooth bore use the choke marked improved cylinder for slugs and buckshot and a full or extra full for regular shotshells for turkeys.

Comment

as tree stand said, play the wind when deer hunting. this doesn't always mean having it in your face though. you just want it to blow scent away from where the deer are coming from. I have a tree stand on the edge of a field bordering some timber, and I usually hunt it with the wind at my back because deer come from the sides and behind me. when your in a tree stand the wind can blow scent over a deer also. early season, (sept-mid October, depending on when your season opens) focus on food sources and trails leading to food. the food could be acorns, corn, beans, alfalfa, clover, or a apple tree. mid october- late november, focus on funnels and other travel routes. you should hunt the food sources at this time too, because bucks will check them for does. late season, it is all about food again. deer have to eat a lot more to survive, and this means they will be out during daylight hours. I like a cut cornfield during the late season. dont forget to wear a safety harness when hunting from a tree stand. look for sign like rubs, scrapes, tracks, and trails.

also, you might consider buying a .22 rifle. you can use one to hunt small game and to practice. savage, mossberg, Henry, and remington make good .22s. look at used guns also. used remington 870, or a mossberg 500 would suit you well for deer and turkey. good luck, it is a great sport.

Comment

It's been so long since I was a beginner, I forget! LOL!

Tips: (shooting)
          Learn the basics first. Always practice basics.
          (turkey)
          You can't be overcamoed!
          Be patient!
          Practice basics.
          (deer)
          A deer sees the world through 10x binoculars. Their noses are just as sensitive. Those big old ears are super sensitive sound receptors.
          I've walked up on deer that acted as if I wasn't there. I've also had them spook when everything was in my favor.
          Tree's right, play the wind.
          Personally, I don't worry about wind, I just hunt. My gun season is only two weeks long. If I waited for a perfect wind, I'd seldom get to hunt.
          You can't kill deer if you're not in the woods.
          Learn to process your own game. You'll be much happier with the end result.

Comment

Keep yore powder dry!

Comment

Find a mentor if you can, learn something every time you are out, and enjoy the hunting as much as the take.

Turkey-XF choke, #4 size lead shot, 3 inch shells, get a box call and watch some youtube videos, head to toe camo including facemask and gloves.

Deer-I hunt with a rifle, but find out where the deer are, and hang a ladder stand if you can, I prefer field edges but with a shotgun you may want to hunt in the woods near deer trails, sit and watch, learn and adjust.

The best part about hunting is there is always more to learn, and you get as much out of it as you put into it.

Goodluck!

Comment

What kind of bike do you ride?

Comment

Thank you all so much for the comments they are very informing. I really appreciate the help! As for the comment about the Remington 870 I have looked at that gun and that is the other gun I am torn between. I like both the Winchester and the Remington. Why do you suggest the 870? For the buckshot comment; that is exactly what I meant. I am new at knowing the proper names of ammo and knowing which firearm would be good for big and small game. I haven't shot a rifle yet, I just started getting the hang of bigger firearms. Always just used a handgun and that was for shooting ranges. So, this site is pretty awesome. Again, thank you all! And the bike is nothing fancy; just a Harley Sportster.

Comment

Harley Sportster is fine. +1 for the bike.
                    Glad to see you are interested in hunting.
                    Good luck hunting and happy riding.

Comment

bikerchick91, welcome to the website!

Make sure you practice shooting at turkey targets before you go turkey hunting. Aim for the turkey’s head. When you shoot your wild turkey his nerves could make him flounder around on the ground. Be very careful you don’t get spurred when picking him up. Step on his leg or legs to control him then pick him up.

If your turkey hunting on public land wear a bright orange hat when walking into your hunting spot or when returning back to your vehicle. When you get to your hunting location put your camouflage hat back on.

More hunting accidents happen during turkey season then any other. Every turkey hunter is in camouflage clothing imitating turkeys in the heavy spring time thicket.
                      Be Careful!

Comment

By the way,
                        Buy any trail camera because they are great hunting tool. The camera will take photos 24 hours a day even during darkness.

Check your camera in a week or two. You may see trophy bucks, large gobblers or even a trespasser on your property.

Put a python cable lock for your trail camera and put camouflage pine branches around it so a dirt ball thief doesn't find it and steal it.

Comment

I would second the idea of looking into an 870 they come in 2 barrel sets a field barrel for birds and other small game and a rifled slug barrel for deer hunting. The rifled barrel will increase your accuracy and range a great deal and you can normal pick one up for around 400 dollars

Comment

In the beginning, God gave hunters the M12 Winchester.
                            In the early 60's, Winchester could no longer produce an affordable M12. The world sought to replace the rugged reliability. Impossible!
                            Enter the Rem M870, (stage left)!
                            The 870 came along soon after WW II.
                            It ain't no module 12, but its about as close as you can get!
                            Rugged. Reliable. Affordable. Interchangeable barrels!
                            The Rem 870 is just the best pump shotgun out there for your money!

Comment

Bikerchick91, If you never take any other advice I give take this advice DO NOT BUY A REMINGTON 870! I feel like the one man wrecking crew damning the 870 but it is true do your research they are plagued with problems. Go with the Winchester or any other, I would recommend a Mossturd over the 870.

As far as hunting goes being patient is the biggest key at being successful.

Deer hunting isn't really all that hard. 1st thing is scent control and using the wind to your advantage. 2nd is time, you have to put your time in the woods and fields to be successful.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad