Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer season in Georgia starts in mid October for rifle. The field I am hunting is very thick with briars and just brush. Should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer season in Georgia starts in mid October for rifle. The field I am hunting is very thick with briars and just brush. Should

Deer season in Georgia starts in mid October for rifle. The field I am hunting is very thick with briars and just brush. Should I brush hog the field before the start of gun season or leave it be? Also the brush is about head high in some areas. Or should I just brush hog some of it? Thank you

if you have deer they are there for a reason, because you have that thick cover. removing it, at least in my mind, is only going to hurt the hunting. i would have to see it firsthand to give you a better opinion, but just based off of what im reading thats my call.

Comment

You might think about cutting in some shooting lanes.

Comment

I would think first and foremost about protecting that great deer cover. As scratch said, that is why they will be there. If you need to, you can cut shooting lanes but I believe it would be better to do that with an ax or a machete than a bush hog. Be careful not to cut into bedding areas to disturb their routine.

Comment

If you want to cut shooting lanes, I'd do it about 3 or 4 days before season opened.
          Mess up the hunting, you say?
          Well...yes and no!
          The day you cut lanes, the deer will return within 30 minutes. Deer are curious creatures. For the next week they will be exploring every inch of ground you've uncovered. As new growth begins to sprout out, they'll browse that, giving them another reason to come out.
          My suggestion would be to brush hog a path at least two swaths wide. At least two, no more than five radiating out from you blind.
          Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

If you cut it soon it will start to resprout and that will sometimes attract deer till frost or does around here, but not always. I once have seen them browse my shooting lanes instead of the soybean patch several times. If the area gets hunting pressure and has few hiding areas leave it alone. If you know bucks are currently bedding in it, leave it alone. Like scratchgolf says without knowing the area and deer herd its hard to tell though

Comment

I wouldn't cut any of the brush, it will only hurt the hunting

Comment

Have a similar situation, generally we bush hog in late August/early September and deer browse on the new growth and it opens the shooting up, and if we didn't cut it, it would go back to wilderness in no time. Been thinking about trying limited bush hogging in the fall and then finish it after season or in the spring, but we will see.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                  by FirstBubba
                  "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                  Today, 04:39 PM
                • Rest Easy
                  by jhjimbo
                  Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                  Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by 99explorer
                  Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                  Today, 03:02 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by jhjimbo
                  They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                  Today, 02:39 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                  Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X