Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Del, When are we all going "Back to Camp in AK."? I'm looking forward to more of your,Beekeeper,Myles and Mr. Cooper's story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Del, When are we all going "Back to Camp in AK."? I'm looking forward to more of your,Beekeeper,Myles and Mr. Cooper's story

Hey Del, When are we all going "Back to Camp in AK."? I'm looking forward to more of your,Beekeeper,Myles and Mr. Cooper's storys. You set the first one up, cane you do it again soon?

Big O
    Did you ever hear my story about the Colonel calling me up to open the Base Range at Eielson AFB AK to sight in his 340 Weatherby?

Comment

I think so, wasn't this the same fool that wanted you give up a tag to him?

Comment

OK Big I told this one a year or two ago but it bears repeating. Myself and 3 other GI's hired a Beaver float plane and flew out of Kodiak (the city) to hunt on Afognak Island for 10 days. One guy was a major pack rat and had enough gear for a boy scout troop. Anyway the pilot said if we could get it in his plane he could fly it out. Well we even had gear inside the pontoons. Being the biggest I got the front seat next to our young pilot. I had several rifles and a bag of gear in my arms and between my legs. The pilot taxied out into the shipping channel and shot the juice to his engine. It took a while but danged if he didn't get it to lift off the water. Minutes later we was looking down at a big rugged Island known as Afognak. We flew around looking for a good place to camp and shortly after spotted a large herd of elk with many bulls. Must have been 60-70 total. We all had tags for elk, sitka BT deer and Brown bear.
        We decided this must be a good spot-let's set'er down. The pilot landed in a long narrow bay and taxied to shore. We set up camp under a grove of huge towering spruce trees and prepared to go in search of elk the next day (no elk hunting same day airborn in AK). Well some other hunters shot into our herd that afternoon. They stampeded out of the area and we didn't see them again. We never saw a bear and it rained for 8 days. Still we had a great time! You may wonder how did I get my opinion on scopes well this was the trip. My friend Chuck (who now lives in Anchorage) had a Sako 375 H&H with a Redfield scope. My gun was a Rem M700 classic in 350 rem mag and Leupold VXIII 1.75-5X scope. Glen had a 30-06 with a Weaver and the 4th guy (name forgotten) our pack rat had several rifles with various scopes. The weaver fogged horribly in the rain and was useless. Chuck's Redfield took a ding when he slipped on a rock and it never was the same again. The only scope in the bunch that did well was that Leupold. We came home with 7 Blacktails and my rifle accounted for 6 of them. You were allowed 6 tags back then. One shot I made on a nice buck would have did the legendary Clay Cooper proud. This buck was standing way down the mountain facing uphill. The everpresent crosswind was about 20 mph and my friends were blazing away at this deer who never moved. No doubt it sounded like a firefight. I was the last guy to see the buck because at the time I needed glasses but didn't realize it yet. Held old betsy's crosshairs even with antler tips and fired...missed. Wait forgot the wind so held at antler tips again and about 2 body widths upwind and fired 2d shot...bullseye. I've never had that buck measured but the B&C minimum at the time was 90 inches for Sitka BT's. This deer is pretty close to that. There is a photo of him in my profile pics. That deer was likely a couple hundred feet lower than us and 275-300 yards away. The 350 was sighted in for 200 yd with Speer 250 grain spitzer handloads. I still have the gun and will likely never sell it.

Comment

THANK YOU SIR !!!!!!!

Comment

Big O

It was the know it all Colonel after a few rounds broke all the internals of his scope and replaced it with a TASCO that cost him several stitches, a gallon of blood and had to barrow the Leupold off my 30-06 for next day fly in sheep hunt.

Another Colonel same thing happened not only he blew his scope and replaced it with a TASCO, several stitches including this time didn’t have enough ammo for that night fly in hunt he had to barrow my 30-06 with 190 grain Soft Point Boat Tails loaded at 2816ish fps. Upon his return he traded his 340 Weatherby in for a 30-06 and started reloading tons of 190’s

Comment

BTW we knew it was my shot that did the job in the aforementioned story 'cause the others were out of ammo when the shot was fired.

Comment

Thanks for a great story Del and for your reminiscenses Clay. I have always dreamed of hunting in the great state of Alaska. You have both had remarkable adventures there. I am now old enough and it is expensive enough that I will probably never make it, but your stories help me to imagine how wonderful it must be. Thanks guys.

Comment

agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Awesome story Del!

Comment

Awesome story Del!

Comment

Awesome story Del!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad