Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do, if anything, on land you have some control over in the area of QDM ? Private land, club land, leased land.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do, if anything, on land you have some control over in the area of QDM ? Private land, club land, leased land.

What do you do, if anything, on land you have some control over in the area of QDM ? Private land, club land, leased land.

For private land in the past 10 years have only taken the basket racks and does. The results are amazing - 10 to 12 points are now roaming around where before they were extinct. Still take some does but the scenery is really looking good.

Comment

I just maintain the state game laws.
      I take mostly does and the occasional raghorn. I prefer does anyway! Much easier to clean, and taste just as good! LOL!

Comment

I started seeing better quality bucks after IL went to a 2 buck maximum per year. I personally do not shoot younger bucks. I don't condone those that do. I'm past the part of my hunting life cycle where I want to kill everything that walks by. If I need meat for the freezer I will shoot a doe or two. Of the 200 acres I have, there is 17 acres tillable, there are 5 fields that comprise the 17 acres. We planted 5 acres of soybeans this year, but they are not doing worth a squat, need rain bad.

Comment

I don't allow the spikes and forkies to be shot, except by a first time youngster, and discourage the killing of younger bucks, but don't forbid it. I have guests who only have a limited time to hunt, and they get excited over what some folks might consider an "inferior" buck. Hunting is supposed to be an enjoyable and rewarding experience, so I let them take what makes them happy. The experienced hunters limit themselves to does and wall hangers.
          Jay, I wish I could send you some of this rain we keep having down here. Some of my food plots are too wet to plow, but too thick to drink.

Comment

I don't have my own land, but I help manage numerous properties for QDM. What is done on those properties depends on MANY variables, but the single most important things you can do is allow young bucks to grow and balance the herd with the habitat.

Comment

Personally I hunt 32 acres private land and don't shoot spikes or forkies or small 6's for that matter. My friend and I are looking into tilling up a field and adding some food plots but that will have to wait till the spring.

Comment

I would get signed permission from the property owner so you can prosecute any trespassers.
                I would post the entire property with “No Trespassing" signs. Also state on the sign that trespassing will be prosecuted”.

If you catch someone trespassing pull out your cell phone and call the State Troopers. The Troopers will be there in five minutes. Then file a court complaint.
                I took two different trespassers to court two different years. The Judge slammed them both.
                Word gets around and nobody will come on my lease anymore.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad