Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About how high up a tree should you place a trail camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joy Baibar
    replied
    Setting up a trail camera is the foremost thing to have a great snap.From my experience I think it's better to place it from 4-6 feet high but it may rise up to 10 feet depending on the spot you choose.Thank you.Do join http://www.outdoorsportguide.com

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Milsky,
    Just an extra tip. Depending on the trigger speed of your trail cam, if it is slower like a second or two you have to watch down the trail you expect the deer to travel so the deer is in the camera field of view longer. If it is faster, like a .5 second you can look more across the trail and still catch the deer as it moves by.

Good luck, submit some of your pics when you get them.

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    Depending the spot I like to place them about 3-5 feet off the ground and A little back from the trail or area I expect game to come threw. Doing this I get pics from small bobcats on the ground to the tops of elk racks(see my pics) I usually clear away long grass, branches, etc, that can set the camera off..

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Where I hunt New Jersey black bears the area is mountainous with many rolling hills.

Your bait pile may be on level ground but your tree for the trail camera may be slopping down the hill therefore you must set your trail camera higher to compensate.

I had bears walking over ravine by using a large fallen tree elevated six feet high. I set that camera around seven feet high on the tree.
    It worked like a charm and those photos of the bear walking over the fallen tree are in my profile photos.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    It depends on the wildlife species.

1. One foot high on turkeys and other small game.

2. Two feet high on deer and bears.

3. Three feet high on elk.

4. Four feet high on moose.

My hunting friend sets his trail cameras at three feet for deer and gets way too much sky in his photos. If the deer bends down to eat his head or antlers will be cut off.

Click on my profile picture and check out my trail cam photos. The proof is in the photos. I got photos of two nine point bucks eating corn on the ground. I placed that camera at two feet high on a tree.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• habben97
    replied
    depends on the situation, but I usually set them 3-5 feet high. you can set them higher, up to seven feet, an then angle them down with a stick placed behind it.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Set about 3' for deer. Clear brush away from the camera or you will get a lot of pictures of the wind blowing the brush around.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    On the lease we Hunt we have some 14 T/Cams out (This is for W/Tails)most are set Face High or Chest Lower for Hogs, most are set at Food plots or Feeders, some set in our Planted Pines Rows.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    it is also dependent on the plants around if there is high grass in an opening then it like to angle the camera up with the bottom of the fame only a few inches into the grass. this way you can get small animals as there heads poke through the top of the grass and any other game that is taller and in the center of the meadow. the grass also camouflages the camera a little. i tend to put the camera about four feet off the ground in relatively open forest and higher in dense forests just below the foliage line.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    through a dart at the tree and where it sticks--- just kidding this is a ford and chevy question that has some rules. if you are going after animals like elk the don't put the camera a foot off the ground pointing straight out parallel to the ground and if you are looking for coyotes then don't be 5 feet off the ground. Ether put your cam at the level that you are expecting the game to be or angle them with sticks wedged between the camera and tree to angle it up or down.

Leave a comment:

• About how high up a tree should you place a trail camera?

About how high up a tree should you place a trail camera?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad