Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright guys, so keep in mind that I'm only 14, so excuse my ignorance. Bow season here in Maryland opens September 6th. Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright guys, so keep in mind that I'm only 14, so excuse my ignorance. Bow season here in Maryland opens September 6th. Will

Alright guys, so keep in mind that I'm only 14, so excuse my ignorance. Bow season here in Maryland opens September 6th. Will a buck's antlers be finished growing by then? Thanks. -Jack

Antler growth is completed in late August to early September, but the buck remains in velvet for another week or so until it is rubbed off. You may encounter one that is still in velvet on September 6th.
    Good luck.

Comment

Thanks 99 you too.

Comment

Glad to see youth on here my age

Comment

I'm 14 to we should try to stay in touch I am from Massachusetts near Boston.

Comment

Jack, my four trail cameras last early September had half my New Jersey bucks in velvet and the other half were in the antler state.

Comment

Good luck , MDhunter. Shoot straight.

Comment

Thanks all and will do.

Comment

Jack, Early September in MD is something I have been counting down the days to since last season ended.
                  Up until last year, MD's bow season always opened the 2nd week of sept (usually around the 14th) and the most bucks were out of velvet by then.
                  Last year was the first year that it was moved up a week, and while hunting that opening week, I saw 12-15 different bucks. All of the younger bucks (2 1/2 or less) were in velvet while the older bucks seen were out. Even if they are still in velvet, the antlers are essentially finished growing for the season.
                  The word is that there are deer running everywhere up there this summer. I hope they are in your area too and you get an opportunity for a velvet buck. They area great trophy!

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad