Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September teal and goose seasons are about to start here in VA, I have never hunted the early teal season before, and from what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    Though we don't have an early teal season in NY(why not, I'll never know), I would echo Phil B. and OH's opinions on small and high speed shot. As a double shooter I would use skeet & IC (which I've already patterned). Teal aren't as fast, just crazy flyers that are here & gone decoy buzzers, that will light on the water and take off in a 1/4 second. The best part about teal is eating them, very tiny but very tasty. By the way,I once saw a wounded teal stay under water for longer than I ever thought possible, it then popped up right in front of me and I was lucky enough to snatch it up.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    It is important to shoot high velocity when using steel shot on waterfowl. I wouldn't use anything less than 1500 fps. I agree with the above advice on shot size (#4) and improved or modified choke.

Leave a comment:

• vasportsman
    replied
    Awesome, thanks Dakota, haven't shot nearly enough clays this summer, so hope I can hit at least one!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    va, if getting meat in the freezer is a priority then I'd use #5 with a modified choke or even an improved cylinder depending on how close you expect to shoot. They drop pretty well. I also use a dog so that helps if I just get a broken wing. Best of luck to you... they are tricky little buggers to hit but once you hit them, you can hit anything.

Leave a comment:

• vasportsman
    replied
    Thanks guys, Dakota- I definitely see your point, but given number of days I will actually get to go after duck this year, I am out to put ducks in the freezer. Duck hunting in this part of VA can be spotty sometimes, have to make the most every opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I treat teal season as target practice. To me they are the most difficult waterfoul to hunt. Fortunately, you usually get lots of shooting at them in the early season so you can sharpen your aim. If you can hit teal consistently, you can easily hit any waterfoul and they make pheasants look like a suspended five gallon bucket to you.

Personally, I prefer the same choke and shot size that I intend to use for regular duck and goose hunting so I can get accustomed to the speed, pattern and range for the upcoming season. For me that is 2 3/4 #2s out of a full choke. Obviously, a smaller shot size and more open choke (as Phil said) would be optimum for a bird that small if body count is important to you rather than preparing for the upcoming season. That being said, I believe that if you aim right with your regular loads, you will hit teal... there are still plenty of #2s in a full pattern to deck a teal and if you aim right, you really don't need a four foot diameter pattern at all. It also lets you drop a couple after every one else is done shooting if you need to understand longer shots better.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Open chokes and small shot. Pattern density kills, not shot size!

Leave a comment:

• vasportsman
    replied
    Thanks Phil! Should be tons of fun and I am looking forward to it. Especially since I just acquired a new semi-auto Baikal MP 153. Loved the review you did on it by the way, so far has been spot on.

Leave a comment:

• philbourjaily
    replied
    I would pick an Improved Cylinder choke and steel 4 or 5 shot. Teal are very small ducks and the extra pellet count of the smaller shot should help.
    They are not as fast as they look but they do fly erratically and often take you by surprise. Bring plenty of shells and you will have fun.

Leave a comment:

• vasportsman
    replied
    And idk why it classified this as a deer hunting question... Thanks website.

Leave a comment:

• September teal and goose seasons are about to start here in VA, I have never hunted the early teal season before, and from what

September teal and goose seasons are about to start here in VA, I have never hunted the early teal season before, and from what I read they are pesky birds to hit. So I am looking for ammo and choke reccomendations to maximize my chances. Thanks.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad