Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just a poll question for you deer hunters. how many of you guys expect to and do kill a buck every year? how many are spotty,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a poll question for you deer hunters. how many of you guys expect to and do kill a buck every year? how many are spotty,

just a poll question for you deer hunters. how many of you guys expect to and do kill a buck every year? how many are spotty, maybe kill one every other year? how many go a few seasons? how many of you guys are lucky to even see a buck during your hunting season? be as specific as you want with your location and tactics.

I Hunt Horns in Black Power Season and Does/Bucks in General Gun Season with Good Success every Season.
    on our 9,000 Acre Lease with 23 Members, I can not Recall a Member not getting a Deer or Hog or both,Club Rules are NO Bucks under 6Pt and NO spotted Deer. Tactics are 8, 1/2 Acre Food Plots 6 Bump corn feeders,6 Pole corn feeders.every Member has more then 200 Acres to hunt on. The Hunt lease is in North Fl,Hamilton Co.

Comment

I get one or two deer every year. Mostly I hunt for the freezer so take a doe over a buck. I hunt private 175 acres in Ohio.

Comment

In my 14 year hunting career, I have yet to take a buck. No regrets, when my time comes, I'll be ready.

Comment

I usually take one buck a year and a doe or two. I do not hunt just for the horns, but do enjoy taking a buck. I did not shoot any deer last year as EHD did a number on the population in southern/Central Michigan. This year I have been seeing some deer so may take a Doe to put a little venison in the freezer, But I have a feeling the next few years will be spotty until the population recovers.

Comment

I have shot a buck every year for the past 7 years except for last year. EHD destroyed the deer population on our property in South Jersey. In fact between Sept and January I saw a grand total of 3 does and two spikes. However I found 18 dead doe and 6 nice bucks dead by our creek. Bad year for hunting. This year I moved to MD so hope to have some better luck.

Comment

I work very hard and scout many hours prior to the season starting and am lucky enough to kill and nice buck every year.

The time I spend scouting with binos and spotting scope is double the time I actually spend hunting.

Comment

I can go a few seasons without shooting a buck. I kill deer every year mainly because I'm more interested in meat than horns. I usually shoot a doe first then horn hunt. PA. has a week long muzzleloader/doe season in the begining of october overlaping archery. In my general area archery can be pretty slow till the end of october into november. I usually have 2 doe tags and almost always fill them. I mostly hunt a couple hundred acre plot of public land just outside my backdoor. Recently the PA game commission bought 10,000 acres about a mile down the road from me which now has become my hunting grounds. Bucks seem to be greatly out numbered by does. I can sit on stand on an evening in prime rut and see 20 does and maybe 1-2 buck. Also, spotting is legal in PA and has been a favorite past time for me since I could drive. On a good night during the rut we can count 200 doe and maybe 10 bucks.

Comment

... I do most of my deer hunting in archery and early and late season muzzleloader. I don't hunt rifle season very hard anymore due to the crowds and lack of time. I should also add. That since the game commission did the antler restrictions bucks are actually growing which is leading to increased buck sightings. I can remember when a guy shot a scrubby 6 point and people thought it was a nice deer. Now people are taking 120+ inch deer all over the place which was damn near unheard of 10 years ago. The deer are out there I just don't have the time to get out and scout all that much and hunt too for that matter.

Comment

Shot a deer a year for 5 years, then have been skunked the last 5, I think. In fact, sightings have gone really down. Saw 1 deer all year last year, and it was running.

Hunt for meat, but haven't had any in a while!

Comment

I hunt deer, not antlers.
                      A big ol "rockin' chair" rack gets my blood boiling, too!
                      But, even the sight of a yearling gets me going.
                      One spot I hunt sits on the edge of a bluff about 100 feet high. I watched a bruiser nearly a mile away. Itchy finger, elevated cardio and adrenaline rush! .Didn't matter I had absolutely NO chance to take him! LOL!
                      Since '00 or '01, I've taken at least one deer. Best year was six. Two nice wall hangers.

Comment

My biggest buck to date is a ten pointer that has to score a solid 105 maybe 105 3/8.
                        For me deer = meat = deer in range, I practice no gender bias.
                        Not to say that I would not pull the trigger on one if he happened to walk by but I do not make any special effort or wait to shoot if a doe appears.
                        Just doing my part for herd and freezer management.

Comment

I shoot a nice buck and a doe every year and almost every year a buck or doe with my muzzleloader. I hunt from a shoothouse in a dense laurel thicket with 2 shooting lanes in opposite directions for over 100 yards. Deer seem to like the crab apples that grow in my front yard at home along with the acorns that we have in our deer woods every year. If we have snow on the ground it makes it easier for me to see the deer in the dense laurel. I still have to wait for them to cross my shooting lane for a shot.

Comment

I don’t really go into the season with expectations, just hopes. Where I hunt I typically just have one deer tag, which is for a buck. I hunt private land that has a decent, but not huge population of deer. The last two years I’ve been fortunate to take nice bucks, but I’ve gone for some multi-year stretches seeing plenty of does but without having a reasonable shot at a legal deer. This year I have deer, antelope and elk tags, so I’m somewhat confident I’ll put something in the freezer.

Comment

I get a buck every 5-10 years. I hunt rifle and could kill a doe or more each year but don't. I Hunt the big woods of PA every first day for traditions sake. I would probably be more successful closer to home where there are more deer. I have been fortunate to kill two very large trophy bucks on State game lands though. I am now just hunting for enjoyment. I really want to get a buck with a bow this year but hunting 90% public land its a real challenge. I enjoy trail cam pictures I get almost as much as shooting them with a rifle at this point. I have been very lucky to have the experiences I have had hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad