Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in Western Maryland. I hunt, fish, shoot, and listen to real country music. I'm a member of the NRA, Izaak Walton, and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in Western Maryland. I hunt, fish, shoot, and listen to real country music. I'm a member of the NRA, Izaak Walton, and

I live in Western Maryland. I hunt, fish, shoot, and listen to real country music. I'm a member of the NRA, Izaak Walton, and RMEF. I am also i dies hard conservative. Because i live in Maryland, do i still count as a damned yankee? -Jack

sorry, *a die hard conservative

Comment

'fraid so

Comment

Nope. Just think about it, the Conferderate Army made it much further north than Maryland before being defeated at Gettysburg. There has to be some southern residue left around.

This question reminds me of a conversation I had with a couple of friendly locals in Washington State who were flying a Confederate Flag. There are way too many reason why the south will never "rise again" in the Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Nope. Just think about it, the Conferderate Army made it much further north than Maryland before being defeated at Gettysburg. There has to be some southern residue left around.

This question reminds me of a conversation I had with a couple of friendly locals in Washington State who were flying a Confederate Flag. There are way too many reason why the south will never "rise again" in the Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Maryland was one of the "Border States" during the Civil War and slave owners there were able to retain their slaves until the Civil War was nearly over. Even after the Emancipation Proclamation slaves could legally still be retained in Maryland (and Delaware, Missouri, and Kentucky) because though it was a slave state, it was not in rebellion and the Proclamation only freed slaves in states in rebellion. Slavery was not abolished in Maryland until November 1864 when the state ratified its new constitution. By then the Thirteenth Amendment had already passed the US Senate and passage in the House was only a few weeks away. Jack, I am rather surprised you know so little about your state's very interesting history. It is called Maryland because it was established as a sanctuary colony for Catholics who were pressured to leave England when Anglicanism was brutally enforced as the state-mandated national religion. The state's name is in honor of Christ's mother and/or Henrietta Maria, the staunchly Catholic and extremely unpopular wife of Charles I who eventually lost his head during the English Civil War fought primarily over religion.

Oh, and in case you have forgotten, Lincoln was the first Republican president (in fact the first Republican presidential candidate if memory serves me correctly).

Comment

So, to answer your question, Marylanders would be considered "borderline" Yankees. And "borderline" Confederates. Hmmm. Perhaps that is where the term derived? Like us folks from the Wild West (I'm a Montanan), neither geography nor history compels you to pick sides. And because of your geography and history no one expects you to.

Comment

No

Yankees live indy Nawth.

DamnYankees come down Souf and stay.

How izza damnyankee like a hemorrhoid?

They come down, hang around, and are a pain indy a$$!

Comment

I have said this before and I will repeat it for your benefit. I personally was born just 11.7 miles from the Gulf of Mexico on the south side of a delivery room in the south wing of a small hospital which was above a drug store on the south corner of US highway 98, on the south side of of the southern town of Foley Alabama. I was then raised in the small southern community of Marlow Alabama. I considered myself a born and breed southerner until I grew up and left my country southern home and moved twenty miles south to the city of Orange Beach Alabama. The locals down there quickly informed me that since I had to cross the Intracoastal Canal from the north side to get there, I was a Yankee to them. And worse, since I had moved there with intentions to stay, I was considered a D*mn Yankee. So if with all my southern heritage, I was still a Yankee to those people in Orange Beach Alabama, my good friend, even if you dress in the Stars and Bars, you just do not stand a chance.

Comment

Rebel/Yam Dankee - It's all a mindset and lifestyle!

Comment

Sounds to me like you are a [email protected] fine American, no matter what your latitude. Come on down to the Gulf Coast of Alabama and Santa and I will baptize you into being a gin-you-wine Southerner and you can sweat along with the rest of us in the August heat.

Comment

Being from Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware and Maryland and calling yourself Southern, is like being a cowboy from New York City. It ain't likely.

OH, Lincoln had to be smuggled through Baltimore before being sworn in as president for the first time because people there wanted to lynch him. Seems the Yankee mindset has a short memory when it comes to that incident.

Comment

Jack, I got bad news for you.
                          You’re also called a "flatlander" by the residents who live in those mountain states.

The Yankees won the war!
                          Don’t ever be ashamed for kicking the crap out of the south. lol

Comment

Maryland has never produced a U.S. president, but we have had two vice presidents from Maryland, Spiro Agnew and Joe Biden. Yikes!

Comment

99, maybe it is a Maryland thing?
                              They don't like winning? lol

Only kidding, Jack!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                No that's confirmed!...
                                Today, 05:09 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by FirstBubba
                                I guess you got that from a unanimous source?

It's no good for (D)'s unless the source is unanimous! 👀...
                                Today, 05:05 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Breaking news Hillary used FBI , and CIA as her own Gestapo against Trump campaign.
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Trump landslide 2020.

Biden asks for 4 10 minute breaks what a bum.

Now Bid en refuses to get drug tested what is he afraid...
                                Today, 04:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X