Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last season some friends of mine loaned me gear and took me duck hunting for the first time. I think I'm an addict now. So I'm g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Matzek
    replied
    Thanks guys. Dang OH! Thanks for all that advice! If you ever come down south look me up we'll go to the Delta and tear em up!

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Matzek
    replied
    Thanks guys. Dang OH! Thanks for all that advice! If you ever come down south look me up we'll go to the Delta and tear em up!

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    There are so many dux out here (see photo) that the call is unimportant.

Butt most hunters don't know diddly about shotguns and never learn how to shoot cuzza large random pattern variations.

This can be eliminated by reaming the forcing cone(s) and using extended choke tubes.

I have sent barrels to Magnaport and Wright's, and I once purchased a reamer from Brownell's and done it mahself, all with great results.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Any call should be selected and mastered well before the season begins. An accomplished duck caller is always welcome in any blind. However, invitations to hunt will dry up if you chase away ducks while still learning to call in the blind. Welcome to the wonderful world of waterfowling.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    It all depends on the style of duck hunting, jump or pass shooting, no calls needed. Blind over decoys is another deal that im just not that familiar with because of our limited flyway in the NE, calling in our native birds just isn't that productive. Therefore we use a lot of conoes and oak trees for our style of duck hunting.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I use my dad's old PS Olt D2 "keyhole" duck call but they haven't made these for quite a few years. It is a great sounding call though. Many are up on Ebay all the time. Avoid the goofy wild-colored calls that seem to be all the rage these days. Wood or black plastic only. NO metal rings on the calls either. That kind of dumbbass decoration is worse than useless! It will flare the waterfowl. As will stacking the flashy aluminum bird bands on the call lanyard. Again, this is just a stupid fashion statement dreamed up by some glory-hound showoff. Very counterproductive!

If you don't have a dog (which everyone should have), be sure to take along a spinning rod with a good sized floating plug lure (like a Bass-a-reno) to snag your downed birds. Two dozen floater mallard decoys is best to start although if hunting by yourself maybe one dozen will be all you can handle. A decoy bag with shoulder straps that drains is important. Also a good coat. If you are hunting with waders a wading jacket will work fine (and cheaper than waterfowl parkas). I like the 4-in-1 jacket/parkas that allow you to remove the liner jacket AND the hood. I only want hood on when I need it. Stuff it in the bag otherwise. Get as many shell loops as possible for the jacket. I did a pretty good review of Cabela's Brush-buster wading jacket last fall. Really hated to have anything good to say about Cabela's but it is what it is. Avoid the magnetic closure pockets. The brass on shotshells is no longer brass but rather just painted steel. Those magnetic closures will cling to your gun and shells. A real pain! Velcro wears out too quickly. Snaps are best. Adding a sling to my shotgun was one of the most useful things I have done. Use detachable swivels so you can pop the sling off once you're set up. Pick up a good camo cap and always wear it even if you put the hood on. Actually, especially if you put the hood on. The bill of the cap will keep the hood from sliding over your eyes during the recoil. I have a cap with two LED lights built into the bill. Definitely the most useful piece of gear I'll ever own! Absolutely essential for setting out decoys in the dark. Frees up both your hands. Also great for working under the hood of the truck after dark if needed. Or fixing the plumbing under the sink. Maybe consider getting a camo face mask, especially if you are set up facing east in the morning. I have managed to get by without one but I also have a lot of experience knowing how to minimize my face flash with simple positioning.

Leave a comment:

• gator fan 2017
    replied
    Sorry for the three posts did not mean to.

Leave a comment:

• Last season some friends of mine loaned me gear and took me duck hunting for the first time. I think I'm an addict now. So I'm g

Last season some friends of mine loaned me gear and took me duck hunting for the first time. I think I'm an addict now. So I'm getting some of my own gear for this coming season. What would be some good calls to have? Any other gear? I'm gonna get some good waders and I have a shotgun.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad