Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MDhunter1: I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Its been tough getting on here recently and I missed your shout out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDhunter1: I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Its been tough getting on here recently and I missed your shout out.

MDhunter1: I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Its been tough getting on here recently and I missed your shout out. I gave up my hunting spot in your previous post.

I would also add, that many land owners who refuse to let you hunt probably hunt themselves, let others hunt already, or are afraid to let strangers on their lands with guns. These are the top three reasons for having the doors slammed in my face in the past.

You can't do much about the first two, except be as polite as possible thank them for their time. You may be surprised at how much leaving them with a good impression can help change their minds. And just cause you were shut down once, doesn't mean things won't be different next season. I have asked the same guy for 15 yrs to hunt and have been turned down every time. Plus I went to HS with his daughter and we were and still are great friends. One of these days though...

As for the third, being a bow hunter you have the chance to reassure them that they have little to fear. Educate them on your safety credentials, and how bows have limited range, shooting down into the ground, etc.

Finally, turn on the charm. Find anything that you relate to them with and start a conversation. Get to talking about sports, people you both know, etc. that can help you lay the building blocks of trust that can lead to an offer for hunting.

I recently wrote an article for beginning hunters that covers much of what I posted here along with a few other points. I think its worth a read, even if you already have the skills or know how that's covered.

Good luck finding a place, and if you see my truck (covered in DEER30 decals) stop me and say hello!

Comment

link to article www.deer30outdoors.com/the-costs-of-hunting-2/

Comment

BTW - feel free to post a comment or email me through the website or hit us up on facebook with any other questions or just to shoot the bull.

Comment

Hey DEER30 What we see here in Fl, A Singles Hunter
          or Hunters Wanting to Hunt on Private Land NEED to have there own Proof of and up to date "Liability Insurance" its just like I have to Show the same to my Lease Land Owner, or its just Family and Friends
          New First time Hunters need to start out on (WMA)State Land or Join a Hunt Club Lease and Pay the Price??

Comment

It all comes down to How much Money does it cost for that Pound of Venison???? a Lot$$$$

Comment

WOW! Liability insurance to hunt?! What is this world coming to?! What happened to the days of people accepting the responsibility for their own actions?

I have never heard of that and I am saddened to hear that its that way in FL.

The cost of my venison is low. Last season I stocked my freezer and my friends and family's freezers with over 400lbs of prime venison. At a wally world rate of $3/lb of burger, that's $1,200 saved at the grocery store. And I cut steaks, roasts, tenderloin, etc. So the true savings are even higher. My seasonal expenses, licenses, equipment, etc. doesn't come any where near that amount (probably around $500). So I technically made money by saving money.

I been hunting almost 20 yrs. I buy quality equipment, take care of it, so it lasts me a long time. Unless you take trips or trophy hunt out of state, your seasonal expenses should be minimal once you have passed the initial costs of getting started.

Comment

National Forest and public lands are a great place to start (as recommended in the article) I still hunt only the Redlands WMA here in GA and almost all my VA hunting was done on Jefferson National Forest. A great opportunity and its cheap (usually $5 extra for the NF stamp)

Personally, I would not recommend joining a hunt club. Its usually a lot of additional rules and restrictions, which I never like. Follow the state regs and the rest is your decision. The fees can also be ridiculous for land that may not be the greatest in the first place. Some clubs are set up well with good guys running them. But for me, its not worth it the hassle when if you are patient and put the leg work in, eventually you will find some generous person who will give you the chance.

Thanks for the insight Treestand, I still can't believe you have to get insurance.

Comment

Deer30, Treestand is correct about getting a liability insurance. It is definitely an advantage for getting permission from a land owner.

The old day’s people were not filing law suits like crazy like they are today. You can thank the attorneys for that.

Why would any property owner let a complete stranger hunt their property, fall from a tree stand, be paralyzed for life and suit you for everything you have?

My hunting club has NRA hunting insurance for each member and the club also insured each property owner in case one of their members was hurt on the property.

Comment

Gary: Every land owner who has ever granted me permission has never asked for proof of insurance.
                    Its shocking to me I guess because if I fell from a tree, or any other accident, how is the land owner at fault? he's NOT. Its MY fault. I hung the stand, or inspected it, I chose to climb it, I chose to not wear a safety belt (if that's why I fell), etc. Why would I ever blame a person for MY mistake/accident when they are still sitting in their living room?

That is why it saddens me. You guys are right, that we are living in a world where the first thought of many is not "what did I do wrong?" its "who can I blame."

I, and none of my fellow team members, have ever had liability insurance, nor have ever been asked about it by a land owner. We respect proper safety guidelines and accept responsibility for our own actions. That has always been an unspoken agreement between us.

But if it is something that people are looking for and necessary before they grant you permission, and you really need/want to hunt there, I guess you should get it.

I'll stick to the old fashioned handshake and your word.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                      by 99explorer
                      CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                      Anybody
                      Today, 01:09 AM
                    • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                      by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                      Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                    • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by 99explorer
                      Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                      Today, 12:57 AM
                    • The George Floyd case.
                      by FirstBubba
                      Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                      Minnesota...
                      Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                    • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by crm3006
                      My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                      Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X