Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WAM recently posted an answer that he shoots a 7mmWbyMag in a 3" group/POI offhand at 100yds, no sling or rest. How many check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAM recently posted an answer that he shoots a 7mmWbyMag in a 3" group/POI offhand at 100yds, no sling or rest. How many check

WAM recently posted an answer that he shoots a 7mmWbyMag in a 3" group/POI offhand at 100yds, no sling or rest. How many check their hunting rifle before a trip with their hunting load, off hand at 100yds with a 2 or 3 shot group? I don't think I have ever done that but I am going to check it this year.

i do it every time i go out, i shoot and reload alot, but when hunting even if i just sighted in and know the gun is shooting through the same hole at 500 yds i'll still check it after i get out to the area im hunting or in route to, everything can effect the ballistics of your bullet from temp, to humidity. prime example elk hunting up here in Idaho bull season just started it's in the low 40's in the morning by noon its over 100 degrees outside that's a difference of 1-3 ft. at 300-800 yds because of the temp change and if your gun is super clean or fired dirty for more accuracy, because of the tighter snugger fit of the slug coming out of the barrel. so even through out the day if the temp changes that much and shooting from a cold or warm barrel i might even set up a target and adjust in the field. It makes the difference between a miss and meat in the freezer.

Comment

No.
      I'm not palsied, but stuff don't work like it "usta"!
      THE very reason I've set up shooting rests in my blinds.

Comment

I don't do that but am all in favor of practicing realistic situations any way I can. I think duck and pheasant hunting prepares me the best for offhand shooting. I get real comfortable in quickly acquiring a target, following it and squeezing the trigger in that position. I don't do it any more but used to spend a lot of time shooting 45 mph moving coyote targets too.

Comment

My theory is if you can't hit a paper plate at 100 yards offhand, you are not ready to go hunting. Many times a 100 yard or less shot is all you get and about 2 seconds to decide to shoot and shoot. A rifle that shoots MOA ain't worth beans if you can't shoot MOP.

Comment

I practice that way but most of the time I use the sling as an aid. I have switched to all rubber slings and I can get a really solid feel with that technique.

Comment

I practice in the offseason using a scope sighted CZUSA 453 .22 Rifle and what I call "micro" targets. See link below. I shoot offhand with and without a sling and or shooting sticks.

The CZ feels like a centerfire hunting rifle and has a good trigger. By staging the targets at various distances I can simulate the difficulty of hitting a deer or elk sized animal from close to extended ranges. The targets can also be placed along a trail for a woods walk to simulate still hunting shot opportunities. Reduced centerfire loads be used as well.

I also spend time shooting hunting loads at a private range at practical "odd" hunting distances. I use balloons blown up to mimic the typical 8 inch vital zone of a big game animal. These are tied to dowel rods that are used as stakes to hold the balloons from 2 to 2.5 feet above the ground. They are set as I said at odd distances like 166 yards or 215 yards rather than the conventional 100, 200 and 300 yards. A hit shows instantly. If you can bust 8 inch balloons off hand regularly at odd distances with out your range finder you are tuned up about as well as one can get for the field. Trigger time matters.

Comment

I practice in the offseason using a scope sighted CZUSA 453 .22 Rifle and what I call "micro" targets. See link below. I shoot offhand with and without a sling and or shooting sticks.

The CZ feels like a centerfire hunting rifle and has a good trigger. By staging the targets at various distances I can simulate the difficulty of hitting a deer or elk sized animal from close to extended ranges. The targets can also be placed along a trail for a woods walk to simulate still hunting shot opportunities. Reduced centerfire loads be used as well.

I also spend time shooting hunting loads at a private range at practical "odd" hunting distances. I use balloons blown up to mimic the typical 8 inch vital zone of a big game animal. These are tied to dowel rods that are used as stakes to hold the balloons from 2 to 2.5 feet above the ground. They are set as I said at odd distances like 166 yards or 215 yards rather than the conventional 100, 200 and 300 yards. A hit shows instantly. If you can bust 8 inch balloons off hand regularly at odd distances with out your range finder you are tuned up about as well as one can get for the field. Trigger time matters.

Comment

For some reason the filter won't let me post the link to the targets. Google "targets.ws" and select the elk and deer targets of your choice

Comment

Bee, nice site, thanks. To post, take off the junk to the left of the first word. sometimes that works.

targets.ws/sight-in-targets.htm

Comment

Offhand practice is good, because it is the least stable position, but practice getting into sitting, prone, and even kneeling also. Personally, I probably wouldn't take a 200 yard shot offhand. Sitting; yes, prone; no problem.

As far as a 3" group offhand, that's some good shooting. (Do keep in mind that WAM is a Tide fan and therefore prone to hyperbole and exaggeration)

Comment

I practice with a monopod shooting stick in sitting and kneeling, or simply holding the rifle in prone positions shooting at clay birds at 100 and 200 yards in a gravel pit. And I do this a lot all year around. I don't trust myself at shooting offhand at more than 50 yards or so. But then, I generally hunt from a stand or blind.

Comment

Since my retirement several years ago, I am able to shoot a couple days a week. I rarely use a bench, and just position shoot, plus use shooting sticks to simulate African hunting. My eyesight and hand eye coordination are not what they use to be but I am a very confident if not an expert marksman. At least I still seem to fool my African professional hunters.

Comment

Every time I go to the range I make sure I shoot my Kimber 22 LR a lot . That habit helps a lot.

Comment

I think the places WAM hunts most, blinds and stands aren't practical. It's generally still hunt or spot & stalk.
                              I don't have access to that much territory.
                              My favorite spot is a wheat field that overlooks a river bottom. I can't "shoot" the bottom, I don't have permission, except for retrieval purposes. So I built a box blind so I can watch the wheat field. The blind has a "bench" and shooting bags.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by 99explorer
                                Moncef Slaoui, the top scientist advising the US government's Operation Warp Speed, predicted that more than 100 million Americans would be vaccinated...
                                Today, 04:34 PM
                              • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                                06-24-2020, 09:09 PM
                              • Reply to The Spam here is insane...
                                by Ernie
                                Yes, it takes a certain temperament, to be a moderator. But the ridiculous amount of spam on this site is embarrassing
                                Today, 04:31 PM
                              • The Spam here is insane...
                                by Ernie
                                With no one here deleting the spammers, this forum has gone to the dogs/spammers.
                                I enjoy the folks here, but with no one to reign in the spammers...
                                10-16-2020, 01:51 PM
                              • Reply to The Spam here is insane...
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ernie, I've joined a couple of "sites" that has "on forum moderators".
                                Sadly, I'm the one who got censored for a very innocuous...
                                Today, 04:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X