Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you could have one rifle any caliber/ make what would it be??? (money is not an issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you could have one rifle any caliber/ make what would it be??? (money is not an issue)

if you could have one rifle any caliber/ make what would it be??? (money is not an issue)

Too many good ones to pick from.

Reckon Ah'd like to have another Weatherby CNCed Stainless Mark V Magnum in .30-378!

Great cannon!

Comment

We all have our preferences based on what we trust. I've shot a LOT of cartridges and rifles over the years and in my old age, I'd have to say:

If I hunt varmints to deer sized game, a 25-06 in any rifle that is superbly accurate, generally a custom barrel on a Mauser style receiver so it always works. I do use a Rem 700 Sendero effectively and there are a few other accurate off-the-shelf rifles available. Although it is on the light side for elk, I would not hesitate to shoot an occassional elk with this cartridge at ranges inside 300 yards. It is far deadlier than most heavy bullet shooters realize. It has speed to rival the 22-250 with totally unexpected killing power on medium sized game.

If I need to regularly hunt big game west of the Mississippi and want the flexibility to shoot at ranges from 400-1000 yards, it is a .300 Dakota (for the best combination of speed and long range accuracy) with a custom barrel and chamber cut on a Mauser style receiver. For those who don't want to mess with reloading or shooting wildcat style cartridges, a .300 Win Mag or a 30/378 chambering is great depending on your likely range expectations. For me more range is always better if I only have one rifle. Therefore it would be the 30/378!

I shoot a 12 pound custom rifle for long range accuracy but a traditional sporter barrel may be more to your liking if you intend to hike for days on end and just aren't comfortable with a heavy rifle. At this range, a custom build or special tactical rifle is really necessary for the accuracy required.

If I need to hunt outside the continental U.S. and the menu includes critters that weigh over 600 pounds, the .375 H&H is my favorite although I'd follow Happy's recommendation any day. I like the relatively mild recoil of the .375 to enable very accurate shooting and modern bullets are phenomenal for this 100+ year old that kills way beyond reason. Many great rifles but I shoot a CZ550 for the reliability and two stage trigger and would like to put a highly accurate 1:10 twist barrel on it for long range accuracy with the wonderful new .375 VLD bullets.

So many choices; so little money! Good luck Mike!

Comment

Depends I guess.

If you're asking "Only rifle in my possession", I would have to strongly consider my Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm.
        If you're just talking "covetous possession", I'd probably go with a Browning "custom shop" stack barrel .270! Saw one in A Browning catalog MANY moons back and it still invades my dreams from time to time!
        If you're talking "lean, mean, killin' machine", a Ruger No. 1 in .300 H&H comes to the forefront. On this one, I'd want the barrel stamped, "Holland's Super. 30"

Comment

As an extra rifle, and not as my one-and-only, I would choose a pre-64 Winchester Super Grade Model 70 chambered in .22 Hornet.

Comment

Only one - would be the Remington 700, synthetic stock in 30-06.

Another choice would be my Weatherby .300WbyMag, again in synthetic stock.

I did see Prograde Ammo is loading the .280AI and that is intriguing. They also sell just the brass for it.

Dakota, what caused the stock to break on your .375? Recoil from no give in the rest or something else?

Comment

Only one? It is already in my safe. Remington 700 .308 Win. Or a new rifle would be a Weatherby Mark V or Nosler 48 or similar chambered in .280 Ackley Improved for when I get too frail to shoot the other big 'uns.

Comment

I finally traded around and solved that problem a few years ago and it now sits in my gun safe. A Sako A7 Stainless in 300WSM.

Comment

jhjimbo, a collection of suboptimal conditions came together all at once on my .375:

1. My CZ stock had no cross bolts putting it at risk with heavy recoil. I had purchased them but had not installed them (not smart)!

2. I shot out of a Lead Sled. I don't think it contributed too much to the crack since I used no extra weights and have shot thousands of pretty heavy rounds off it.

3. I was testing exceptionally high speed loads. I was stepping the new contour GS Custom 291g bullet up and was crossing 2850 fps (about 200 fps faster than a comparable weight lead bullet). Its reduced rifling friction allows it to go much faster with less pressure. Of course that caused a calculated 5250 foot pounds of muzzle energy, backing the rifle up pretty fast.

I just need to drill it out, glue, glass/pillar bed and install cross bolts, something I intended to do anyway. I'd like to continue with that testing as it was demonstrating some pretty phenominal .375 H&H speed and accuracy results.

Comment

Dakota,
                    I thought it must have been something like that.
                    Wow, that is a lot of energy you are working up, in both directions.
                    Hope you can make a good repair, sounds like it will be stronger than ever.

Comment

Culprit = Lead Sled

Comment

WAM, you are right there! The Lead Sled will add an element of risk to high recoil rifles. However, I still consider it one of my best investments of all time. It has allowed me to shoot lots of high recoil rounds in testing and practice without developing a flinch. It will sure let you know if your stock has a weakness long before your shoulder would. Had this stock been up to par for such a heavy load, I would not have had a problem though. I NEVER load extra weight on the Lead Sled as that would be asking for trouble even with a good stock.

Comment

WAM, you are right there! The Lead Sled will add an element of risk to high recoil rifles. However, I still consider it one of my best investments of all time. It has allowed me to shoot lots of high recoil rounds in testing and practice without developing a flinch. It will sure let you know if your stock has a weakness long before your shoulder would. Had this stock been up to par for such a heavy load, I would not have had a problem though. I NEVER load extra weight on the Lead Sled as that would be asking for trouble even with a good stock.

Comment

Sorry folks, I could swear it was one button click!

Comment

Winchester '94 in .44 mag.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by Solitario Lupo
                                Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
                                Today, 06:16 PM
                              • Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
                                08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
                                Today, 05:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X