Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else about fed up with this site? I know i am. It takes forever to load a(i have a new dell inspiron and great interne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else about fed up with this site? I know i am. It takes forever to load a(i have a new dell inspiron and great interne

Anybody else about fed up with this site? I know i am. It takes forever to load a(i have a new dell inspiron and great internet) and it is constanly giving me issues. i.e. it wont keep me logged in, and it wont let me upload photos (after the last one i uploaded). There has to be a solution. -Jack

Jack, I was just about to blow a fuse on here too. Hard to imagine it could get worse but this past week it has been almost impossible to make this site work. My computer and connection are plenty fast too. It's a growing mess!

Comment

Try Deer and Deer Hunter

Comment

I note with a smile the logo in upper right corner: "Field and Stream: World's Leading Outdoor Website." What are the second-rate sites like? They must be really awful! :-)

Comment

PERHAPS THE HUFFINTON COMPOST HAS TAKEN OVER?

Comment

If more malcontents left, might be more bandwidth for others?

Comment

It seems like every two days somebody is posting a complaint about the website.

They say "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Oil".
              Does the Field and Stream staff know that saying?
              Where is the oil or the website correction?

DEER30 has his own website.
              Maybe DEER30 can “spoon feed them” on how to do it properly?

Comment

Maybe if they weren't too busy putting hyperlinks in our questions and posts, it would be a better website.

Comment

Whoa! What happened? Things are moving at warp speed this morning. I don't think I have seen this site work this well in ... well, never! Amazing! Hope it's not just a temporary hiccup.

Comment

All the above are true. But it's a small price to pay for unbiased product evaluation and hunting and fishing techniques from across America. Also if you get board with the usual Stress Tests on this site they change it up. My previous post which I abandoned because when I went to hit submit; it would move down the page ahead of my cursor. Just when you thought it was safe to go into the Internet.

Comment

Yup im sick of this websites slowness but i learn alot from it so its the price you pay.

Comment

There is a solution, certainly. But it costs money and the financial benefits to the owners might not justify further development work. In spite of its issues, this enjoyable site provides content that is of interest to us sportsmen and I have certainly enjoyed it and learned much from it over the years.

I recently retired from a career of delivering software/Web sites and have had to rectify these types of issues many times. I would offer the following top five suggestions as constructive advice based on my observations of the end product:

1. The free package (WordPress) used as the basis for this site might not be intended for such voluminous content, such widespread advertising, nor the access rates being experienced. This package may not support concurrency of software execution and configuration of software components across multiple servers. It may not take advantage of additional memory to cache content for faster presentation. Finally, the implementation of this package has limitations on use across a wide spectrum of browsers. Something like a push-button or navigation link does not behave the same way or at all on some versions of browser. The decision is centered around use of another (more costly) package or constraining use to the limitations of WordPress and tolerate the issues caused by continuous browser changes occurring daily around the world.

2. The configuration of server(s) may be causing random performance and concurrenty issues (e.g. processor, memory, disk, channel and software (PHP) memory configuration parameters, etc.). Lately, WordPress has been experiencing PHP memory configuration defects as well. These have been producing serious performance problems in sites like this. The decision is whether or not to engage a professional to assist in configuring your server knowing the limitations of PHP.

3. Given the constraints imposed by 1& 2 above, Web pages may be over-saturated with content, making them display way too slow and consuming excessive server resources. The decision is whether to trade off advertising content and technique for performance.

4. Customization of plug-in components (e.g. site authorization and content filtering) may be done by people who don't understand software design concepts applying to best practices, concurrency constraints of the server and coding language (PHP) constrains). They may be selecting defective components or introducing even more browser constraints among the many publicly used versions of browser in use. The decision is whether to establish a rigorous component selection process involving cross-browser testing, implementation of custom plug-ins and enlisting the aid of professionals to assist.

5. It appears that changes are not thoroughly tested and verified across browsers before they are introduced to the production site. This is especially important when components and staff exhibit the error rate seen here. The decision is whether to invest in cross-browser testing as part of the site change management production process.

My personal biggest issue lately has been with the log-in logic. A change was made about a month ago that has caused serious issues with authentication. Log-in dialogs fail and don't execute consistently across the several pages where log-in dialogs are presented which indicates a concurrency or state management issue in addition to logic defects. It often takes me 15-30 minutes to complete a log-in after changing from one page's dialogue to another using IE 9.0.

The folks at Bonnier may already be well aware of these suggestions but if not, I hope they are of assistance. I only offer them as a friend helping a friend just like I would help a kid learn to fish. I also hope they realize that to understand what is occuring in more depth requires a more in-depth investigation and observation of more than the browser side of the product.

I'm happy to hang in there and enjoy the exchange of sporting information though, even it it continues as it has been. This is still my favorite site because of the content, writers and members that make it very GOOD!

Comment

Hi...

Yes...it's slower than molasses in a squirt gun.

Comment

Impressive, Dakota. That's a very big spoonful. I hope someone will give it consideration. Thank you for making a huge effort above and beyond the call of duty. Give the man a medal!

Comment

Dakota I believe you exemplify what I like most about this site. Some very clear concise feed back from a guy not around the block. Sorry I can only give you ONE +1.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by PigHunter
                                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                                Today, 06:44 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                                Today, 06:35 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X