Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on deer hunting with a shotgun that has a bead on it? I have a single shot New England Pardner in 20 gauge. There i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on deer hunting with a shotgun that has a bead on it? I have a single shot New England Pardner in 20 gauge. There i

Any thoughts on deer hunting with a shotgun that has a bead on it? I have a single shot New England Pardner in 20 gauge. There is no possible way to put a scope on it. Should I use buckshot or slugs?

well ive never used a shotgun to hunt deer but in my opinion ur kinda limited. with a beed ur gonna be closer so I would say to use the slug

Comment

well ive never used a shotgun to hunt deer but in my opinion ur kinda limited. with a beed ur gonna be closer so I would say to use the slug

Comment

If you really want a Scope on it Take it to a Gunsmith or gun shop with services have the Smith look it over get a price to have your Shotgun Drilled and Taped for scope mounts, $75.00 to $100.00 is a fair Price. Hope this Helps

Comment

Get some slugs and buckshot, and practice on a paper target at your expected shooting distances. The target will tell you what you need to know.

Comment

I have killed 4 deer with a 2 shotguns. both have just one bead. use slugs and keep it within 50 yards and you will be fine.

Comment

I have a 20ga shotgun with a bead that I use soaly for pushing"deer drives". Beads are not good for long distance at all, but we push state land quite often which is pretty thick around my area. So all shots are up close. I usually use slugs (personal preference) but either will do for up close within 50yrds. Love beads for quick moving shots, much easier than finding the animal in a scope.

Comment

You can use it like it is with rifled slugs, good to 50+ yds or so. (check state laws, some require slugs only).
                Or, you can put $$$ into it and get sights. Sights may be a negative affect for the use of it as a shotgun for things like birds.
                or
                You can trade it in on a NEF that has a fully rifled barrel that may have sights and is already drilled for scope mount. The other advantage is you would have a receiver that you can then add other calibers to at a later date. I believe the receiver you have now is limited to shotgun barrels only.

Comment

If you can duck hunt with a bead you can sure hunt deer with one. I've shot several that way and it works fine out to 50 to 70 yards or so. That is pretty typical whitetail range in the timber. Slugs are the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Good luck!

Comment

Slugs
                    -The Kid

Comment

Kilt mah first deer on a bucks-only drive with a Parker side-by made in 1878 with a bead sight at 40 yds with 00buckshot when Ah wuz 14.

Comment

My dad killed plenty of deer with a winchester model 12 with just a bead.

Comment

If it is your everyday shot gum I would not modify it. If it is your dedicated slug gun I would get it drilled and tapped. Jimbo you are correct about gettin a different barrle for that reciever. I believe the the slug barrles only fit on the 10 ga.

Comment

Keep you shots to a reasonable distance (< 75 yards) and you'll be fine with rifled slugs and a beaded barrel. I hunted the suburbs of Pittsburgh with a break barrel single shot H&R for years (until I bought a rifled barrel 12 gauge). My favorite slugs were the Brennke Rottweils... They're just LETHAL. Just be sure your barrel isn't choked any tighter than Improved Cylinder though... any more and you could damage the gun and/or injure yourself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What's on your belt?
                              by crm3006
                              PigHunter-A machete will certainly do the job for a snake, and I have used one more than once. However, the .45 is a lot easier to carry, maybe not less...
                              Today, 08:46 PM
                            • What's on your belt?
                              by PigHunter
                              What are you carrying on your belt this season? Here's what I had yesterday for my solo hunt on public land.

Knife - discontinued Browning...
                              11-29-2020, 06:03 PM
                            • Reply to Voter Fraud
                              by 99explorer
                              BHR -

You got that right.
                              Today, 08:29 PM
                            • Voter Fraud
                              by bowhunter75richard
                              For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                              11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                            • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                              by 99explorer
                              Then I guess you already know the election results. My condolences.
                              Today, 08:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X