Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another BS advertisement. Too bad these outfits can't get someone who has a clue to do their photography. See the first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, fellas. Very much. I enjoyed reliving those horse days for a bit. Guess you could tell. I do miss it. The hard thing about living the dream is having it end. Difficult to look ahead when what's behind was so wonderful.

Comment

Hang in there Ontario, you have a new little buckaroo to train. Where I grew up, hard on the Nevada, California border everyone pretty much ran cattle and ranged horses on public land together so ear marks were used. All you had to do was whistle or shout from a distance and when the critters raised their heads you could tell if they were yours, saved covering a lot of ground and eased separating them in the Fall. Our ear marks were a swallow fork in both ears and an under bit in the left. We did not ear mark horses, feeling it made them head shy to bridle. However, ear marking horses was common with the local Indian tribe. Obviously it marred their appearances, so well to do ranchers would not think of that practice.

Most draft horses were left to roam the sage and rim rocks until haying season which took most of the summer. Then they were brought into a meadow and used hard. I can recall at the crack of dawn herding thirty or so up to the round carrel which had a snubbing post in the center. I had an old rawhide riata with which I would toss a loop over a horses head then lead it up to a stump for me to stand on as I was to short to halter from the ground. The teamsters would be wisecracking from behind the fence. Sadly those days are gone forever. Now it is all fancy mechanized, and very few people.

Comment

Hang in there Ontario, you have a new little buckaroo to train. Where I grew up, hard on the Nevada, California border everyone pretty much ran cattle and ranged horses on public land together so ear marks were used. All you had to do was whistle or shout from a distance and when the critters raised their heads you could tell if they were yours, saved covering a lot of ground and eased separating them in the Fall. Our ear marks were a swallow fork in both ears and an under bit in the left. We did not ear mark horses, feeling it made them head shy to bridle. However, ear marking horses was common with the local Indian tribe. Obviously it marred their appearances, so well to do ranchers would not think of that practice.

Most draft horses were left to roam the sage and rim rocks until haying season which took most of the summer. Then they were brought into a meadow and used hard. I can recall at the crack of dawn herding thirty or so up to the round carrel which had a snubbing post in the center. I had an old rawhide riata with which I would toss a loop over a horses head then lead it up to a stump for me to stand on as I was to short to halter from the ground. The teamsters would be wisecracking from behind the fence. Sadly those days are gone forever. Now it is all fancy mechanized, and very few people.

Comment

Lets try corral, not correl

Comment

O.H. - Happy and Bubba - thank you all for allowing me to share what little I know in the presence of such knowledgable men. Any one of you are more than welcome to come out and share the trail with me in WY. We'll be running about 250 head of quarter horses and my wife and myself have 20 horses between us in our two yearly allotted strings of trainees. Room and bored is covered due to the generosity of the ranch owner allowing us to live in a rather, too large, house. With 40,000 acres we can't get too lost, but should be able to find an adventure if we look for it. OH - the trail doesn't have to end just yet, the offer always stands.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad