Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As you go through your gear for the up coming hunting seasons, what do you find you have to replace, repair or add to your gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31Alpha
    replied
    Definitely need to beef up my Rem 700 in .300 RUM. Looking at getting a new barrel, new stock and having it glass bedded and free floated. Probably top it off with a Mossy Oak or Real Tree hydrographic print job on it.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Happy,
    Mine is an Accumark with the aluminum bedding block and 26" barrel with the high end stock. There are a few of the Mark V's out there that were not top shelf for accuracy. I cleaned mine when I got it and went out and shot some Weatherby factory loads and sure enough, it shot better than 1" groups; exceeding the 1.5 inch Weatherby guarantee. The most accurate rifle I have ever seen was a Sako 75 in .300 Weatherby. A friend in Montana shot sub 1" groups with it at 200 yards one day at the range. That is a shooter! Kahles scope I believe. 'Course Shane was a designated marksman" in the Army and he knows his rifles. He had another Sako 75 in .300 Win Mag that he said shot "almost" as good.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    WAM,
    Yes, I sold my 300 Weatherby. The one I had just was not as accurate as any of my three 300 Win Mags. In fairness to the caliber it was an off the shelve rifle of many decades ago, competing against three pretty swanky custom 300 win mags. The Weatherby recoil is not as vicious as the 300 RUM, and not as tempermental to handload. Have many friends who hunt all over the world who swear by the 300Weatherby. One was a top shooter for the Army rifle team and really knows his rifles. As an aside, I used to own a 340 Weatherby, it was super accurate but the trade off versus recoil was not worth it. I went back to a 338 Win Mag, which kills just as well. Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Happy Myles,
    Did you get rid of your .300 Weatherby? How did the felt recoil compare to the .300 RUM? I went ahead with the .300 Roy a couple of years ago after firing a .300 RUM at the range with 180 gr handloads. I know my Roy is a handfull with Wby factory 180 gr loads. I prefer my 168 gr TTSX @ 3,348 fps. Not for the faint of heart but not unbearable either. I really needed that .300 Roy like another hole in the head, but it is a good shooter. One of these days a real trophy will wander out in front of me if I live long enough!

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Might give an explanation why I used a 375. H&H on elk. I had just returned from Africa where the only rifle that showed up was a 375, with which I proceeded to take 18 animals. My elk hunt occurred shortly after my return home, so I just took it along. It worked just fine. My Son likes to use it on elk because he likes to see the look on folks faces when he drags in out of the scabbard.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Dakota,
    I have been so lucky to have hunted most of our World's great animals. Rocky Mountain Elk still sits near the top of my list. Sadly, age and poor health are making elk hunting more than just difficult. Three years ago took a fabulous bull in Nevada,hard on the Utah border. My twelve year old grandson helped my up hill and over logs. As I recall, the shot across a canyon was 320 give or take a few. I know it took the better part of an hour to scramble down the canyon and crawl up the other side. The bull had slide twenty yards or so down hill and bumped into a fallen log. When my Grandson, a city boy, saw the antlers over the top of the log, he exclaimed he had no idea the animal could be that large. The bull when around 360. A dandy trophy.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Tree :-), I don't have any plans to test a .338 Lapua but I am always up for testing Home Brew! I'm thinking of blowing the neck out on that great Lapua case to hold these wonderful new .375 VLD bullets though. With a 1:10 twist it will be one of the better long range performers out there using 350g bullets.

Happy, you always get me dreaming. You are right that preparation is half the fun. I also think preparation gives one the confidence to be more successful on the hunt. However, I'm still a little concerned that I might have the big one if I see a monster bull in my crosshairs for the first time. What a way to go though, eh!

Leave a comment:

• JRE716
    replied
    Just bought some new arrows, going to check my stands and trail camera's this weekend. I'm also in the process of trying to find new hunting land. The land I have hunted for 15yrs was sold this year and the owner hasn't been real receptive of me hunting there. So if anyone know's of anyone in central-southern michigan that would like to lease some land let me know.

Leave a comment:

• JRE716
    replied
    Just bought some new arrows, going to check my stands and trail camera's this weekend. I'm also in the process of trying to find new hunting land. The land I have hunted for 15yrs was sold this year and the owner hasn't been real receptive of me hunting there. So if anyone know's of anyone in central-southern michigan that would like to lease some land let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Dakota, half the fun is preparing for , and anticipating the hunting trip. Among other calibers, I have taken elk with most of the ones you mentioned. 25-06, 06, 300 Remington Ultra Mag, which is close to your 300 Dakota. Also the 375 H&H. The 25-06 is a little light. I purchased the 300 RUM to use in conjunction with the old 200 grain Nosler Partition bullets, but found the recoil a bit much for this scrawny old cowboy. Much nastier than the 375. Barnes came out with their 180 grain Triple Shock in 30 caliber which I have used in my 300 Win Mag ever since with great success on lots of elk and all kinds of other game with less wear and tear on the body than the RUM.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    My goodness YOU ARE THE "Man" Dakota, +1
    Have you OR will you ever test a 338/Lapua 250Gr BTHP or 285Gr BTHP or some Home Brew???

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Happy, I'm having a competition among my rifles and the ones that perform the best will move to the next level. I also got a new range finder and am enjoying it. I wish I could shoot my 25-06 Rem Sendero with Berger 115s. It is so accurate I will feel lost without it. I may just take it along for muleys if I get an elk early.

My .300 Dakota with 210g Bergers has already won the number one elk hunting position by being the most accurate and having enough energy to deck an elk at 1000 yards. I doubt I'll need that range but my motto is "Be prepared"! To strengthen its contribution, I added a muzzle brake to help me avoid a flinch with those hot loads in practice. I'm still pushing RL25, Retumbo, IMR7828 and IMR4831 for speed and accuracy at 1000 yards. I'm adding a Vortex Viper PST first focal plane 6.5-24x50 scope. I expect that the reticle will allow me to instantaneously apply correct holdover and windage so I don't have to fiddle with turrets. If a three second shot is necessary I can also use it to instantly determine range so I don't have to take time to use a range finder. I prefer my new range finder though as it factors in angle of shot and gives me a corrected range. I can't do that with a reticle.

Running in second place right now is my Howa 1500 30-06 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 using Barnes 175g LRX or 168g TTSX. Still doing range testing but the 175s are shooting .3 MOA and have enough punch for 400 yard shots. The rifle is also lighter for an easier carry on those days in the dark timber.

In last place right now with a broken stock is my .375 H&H with 2-7x40 Leupold shooting 291g CS Custom bullets going 2850. This low friction VLD bullet has allowed 200 fps higher velocities and performed well but at over 5200 ft/lbs of energy cracked my stock during testing. I still need to glass bed the rifle with a couple of bolts embedded to carry on with its testing. That bullet is very accurate and with a .789 B.C. it has enough energy to deck an elk at 1400 yards although I will limit it to about 500 because of the scope I use on it. It seems to be capable of killing an elk through about three pine trees though. I actually tracked one shot a quarter of a mile through a forest and found three 1 foot+ trees it penetrated and countless saplings it cut off. It also put a slice like a 3 inch deep chain saw cut in a 3 foot diameter oak tree.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Have spent the last week replacing batteries (lithium), sharpening broadheads and fletching arrows. Also treated my scouting clothes with permethrin.

Leave a comment:

• fisherking1999
    replied
    doe in estrus urine

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I have to Pressure Clean and Wax my Camping Trailer add some darker tint to the windows and Replace all Four Tires(Dry-Rot)install a Stronger Gun Safe,Replace all the Linens,Pillows(woman's work)and Re-supply my Food lockers(W/Work)and Drive it to my Lease and Hook it up Done!! While their Touch a Few Rounds of B/Power Pre Season.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad