Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As you go through your gear for the up coming hunting seasons, what do you find you have to replace, repair or add to your gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As you go through your gear for the up coming hunting seasons, what do you find you have to replace, repair or add to your gear

As you go through your gear for the up coming hunting seasons, what do you find you have to replace, repair or add to your gear to be ready?

Testing new bullets (the Barnes LRX) and powders. Glass bedding a rifle. Adding a new scope, rings, scope leveling kit, scope level. Still spending a lot of time looking for reloading components but am doing better. Repairing the cracked stock on my .375 after testing the fastest 292g bullet ever shot out of a .375.

Comment

Dakota,
      Have you decided which rifle caliber you will hunt elk with this Fall?

My gear is in good shape. Maybe a little fine tuning, but all in all.......

Comment

fletching, broadheads, ratchet-straps for treestands

Comment

Batteries. I throw all batteries in my gear box away that were in there last year, new or not. I bought a spare camp chair to sit may carcass in at camp and on the ridge. My kit goes back together when I get back from the elk hunt and in reality never gets strewn about anyway. All I need is some new batteries and I'm ready to load up. When are we leaving?

Comment

New boots. I wear out a pair on average every other hunting season. Had to redesign the stakes for the dozen new field goose deeks I bought at the end of the season last year. Finished that last month. Also touched up the paint on the forty year-old dozen. Those new decoys required quite a bit of tweeking. A guy in town who makes fancy backpacks is going to put some decent padded straps on my decoy bag. Have to get rabies updated for the mutts before we cross the border. Maybe get them lyme disease shots too but not till I get to Montana. Way too expensive here. Also must finish gobbling last year's birds. A big batch of goose jerky is overdue but that's not a fun project if the weather is hot. Change the oil and fix the air conditioning in the Jimmy. Gees, this list is longer than I thought!

Comment

I'm 16 and still growing, so I go through a pair of waders every year or two. I'm sure that is/was how it was for all of the parents who bring their kids out hunting! Other than that I take off and re-apply a beeswax sealant to all of my wooden stocked firearms once before season starts. Then I reload some more rifle ammo and head out! Besides the usual tag and license, I also try to buy 5-6 pig tags before deer season, so that if I'm out and haven't seen any deer, I can still come home with something! I also find myself sending my knives in to be sharpened on a machine. I can do a pretty good job myself, but there's something about having that perfectly sharpened blade on there that's nice. I also polish with never-dull, the lucky .308 cartridge necklace I made for hunting. It was the casing I used to take my first deer. Other than that, I don't do anything else special! Cheers

Comment

I have to Pressure Clean and Wax my Camping Trailer add some darker tint to the windows and Replace all Four Tires(Dry-Rot)install a Stronger Gun Safe,Replace all the Linens,Pillows(woman's work)and Re-supply my Food lockers(W/Work)and Drive it to my Lease and Hook it up Done!! While their Touch a Few Rounds of B/Power Pre Season.

Comment

doe in estrus urine

Comment

Have spent the last week replacing batteries (lithium), sharpening broadheads and fletching arrows. Also treated my scouting clothes with permethrin.

Comment

Happy, I'm having a competition among my rifles and the ones that perform the best will move to the next level. I also got a new range finder and am enjoying it. I wish I could shoot my 25-06 Rem Sendero with Berger 115s. It is so accurate I will feel lost without it. I may just take it along for muleys if I get an elk early.

My .300 Dakota with 210g Bergers has already won the number one elk hunting position by being the most accurate and having enough energy to deck an elk at 1000 yards. I doubt I'll need that range but my motto is "Be prepared"! To strengthen its contribution, I added a muzzle brake to help me avoid a flinch with those hot loads in practice. I'm still pushing RL25, Retumbo, IMR7828 and IMR4831 for speed and accuracy at 1000 yards. I'm adding a Vortex Viper PST first focal plane 6.5-24x50 scope. I expect that the reticle will allow me to instantaneously apply correct holdover and windage so I don't have to fiddle with turrets. If a three second shot is necessary I can also use it to instantly determine range so I don't have to take time to use a range finder. I prefer my new range finder though as it factors in angle of shot and gives me a corrected range. I can't do that with a reticle.

Running in second place right now is my Howa 1500 30-06 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 using Barnes 175g LRX or 168g TTSX. Still doing range testing but the 175s are shooting .3 MOA and have enough punch for 400 yard shots. The rifle is also lighter for an easier carry on those days in the dark timber.

In last place right now with a broken stock is my .375 H&H with 2-7x40 Leupold shooting 291g CS Custom bullets going 2850. This low friction VLD bullet has allowed 200 fps higher velocities and performed well but at over 5200 ft/lbs of energy cracked my stock during testing. I still need to glass bed the rifle with a couple of bolts embedded to carry on with its testing. That bullet is very accurate and with a .789 B.C. it has enough energy to deck an elk at 1400 yards although I will limit it to about 500 because of the scope I use on it. It seems to be capable of killing an elk through about three pine trees though. I actually tracked one shot a quarter of a mile through a forest and found three 1 foot+ trees it penetrated and countless saplings it cut off. It also put a slice like a 3 inch deep chain saw cut in a 3 foot diameter oak tree.

Comment

My goodness YOU ARE THE "Man" Dakota, +1
                        Have you OR will you ever test a 338/Lapua 250Gr BTHP or 285Gr BTHP or some Home Brew???

Comment

Dakota, half the fun is preparing for , and anticipating the hunting trip. Among other calibers, I have taken elk with most of the ones you mentioned. 25-06, 06, 300 Remington Ultra Mag, which is close to your 300 Dakota. Also the 375 H&H. The 25-06 is a little light. I purchased the 300 RUM to use in conjunction with the old 200 grain Nosler Partition bullets, but found the recoil a bit much for this scrawny old cowboy. Much nastier than the 375. Barnes came out with their 180 grain Triple Shock in 30 caliber which I have used in my 300 Win Mag ever since with great success on lots of elk and all kinds of other game with less wear and tear on the body than the RUM.

Comment

Just bought some new arrows, going to check my stands and trail camera's this weekend. I'm also in the process of trying to find new hunting land. The land I have hunted for 15yrs was sold this year and the owner hasn't been real receptive of me hunting there. So if anyone know's of anyone in central-southern michigan that would like to lease some land let me know.

Comment

Just bought some new arrows, going to check my stands and trail camera's this weekend. I'm also in the process of trying to find new hunting land. The land I have hunted for 15yrs was sold this year and the owner hasn't been real receptive of me hunting there. So if anyone know's of anyone in central-southern michigan that would like to lease some land let me know.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad