Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im going to be a first-time archery deer hunter this fall. I have a small cabin in western Wisconsin, surrounded by a corn field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im going to be a first-time archery deer hunter this fall. I have a small cabin in western Wisconsin, surrounded by a corn field

Im going to be a first-time archery deer hunter this fall. I have a small cabin in western Wisconsin, surrounded by a corn field and DNR land. Im on a really tight budget and i need a good treestand or two. Can somebody help me figure out type of stand, brand, etc.?

Take a look at www.sportsmansguide.com

I just Ordered A 12' portable Tripod Sniper Sentinel 360* hopes this Helps.

Comment

Take a look at www.sportsmansguide.com

I just Ordered A 12' portable Tripod Sniper Sentinel 360* hopes this Helps.

Comment

Do you really need a tree stand? If there is any way that you can make a ground blind work I'd try that first,- if you place it out early enough they'll get used to it and not be worried by it. I've bow hunted for the past three seasons with a recurve for blacktail on all different types of land and haven't found a significant enough disadvantage to make me want to purchase a tree stand for bowhunting....But, to each his own! Goodluck

Comment

Treestand has a Cadilac of a tree stand there. It allows solid solid shooting over 360 degrees. For an inexpensive stand, I like the ladder stands. They are only about $120 and they are the easiest to climb. I used the think deer noticed these types of stands but they don't. Just put it out well before season and they acclimate to it quickly. I do use a climber too for where I need to hunt public property or get in and out in one day but they are too much work for your situation.

Comment

Comfort Zone lock-on stands are the cheapest I have seen/use. You can usually find them on sale for as low as $40 by September. They are small by light, easy to hang, and dependable. We have a dozen or more on hand each season. Don't let the name fool you. You get what you pay for when it comes to comfort.

Comment

Make a brush blind. Its free, gets u some excercise, gets u some time in the woods. I built two this weekend it was really easy. I had my wife sit behind it in bright clothing to see if i could see through it, nope, its all sealed up w trees n brish. Cant wait to use it.

Comment

You might be on a budget, and this might not sound like good advice, but the best purchase I have EVER made for hunting was a Summit Openshot climbing tree stand. It was about $250, but well worth the investment. With that one stand, I can have 20+ good trees picked out by the beginning of the season and hunt any one of them depending on the morning wind and weather forecast ($250/20 stands = $12.5/stand and cheaper if you have more stand locations).

The flexibility and mobility is worth the extra money, and I have had my stand for 5 years now, so if you break it down by number of seasons in use, my investment has boiled down to $50 a year, and it gets cheaper each year. So it's all a matter of perception. You can spend $40 on a lock-on, but chances are once you put up that stand you'll leave it there all season and it won't be comfortable OR you can buy a light weight climber for $250, have numerous stand locations, be comfortable, and get several years of use out of it.

I know some folks above have suggested building a ground blind, but if you think about it, what's easier...building 20+ ground blinds, or picking 20+ trees? I'd rather pick the trees.

Comment

I am in the same boat as you. I am new to bow hunting and going out for the first time this year. I hunt alot of public land so I needed a climber. Cabelas has there big archery sale starting and if you look there i would say avoid the API climber they have, it has bad reviews and looks a little shaky. I went with the Summit Viper. It was a little more expensive than i wanted but after taking it out its a pretty easy climber, packs pretty well and is pretty light. Also its very comfortable, could sit in it all day. They also sell the Summit Goliath which is pretty much the same stand as the viper just a little wider and more expensive. Hope this helps.

Comment

The Sniper 360 Stand I bought was $89.00 on sale it ways only 62#,you don,t need a tree to hang it on, you can put it on or off a trail and hang a Trail-cam on it for an over-night look-see it comes with a shooting rail with a camo-surround to hide behind
                    Whats not to love about it.

Comment

if you want a cheap yet cofortable treestand you cant go wrong with the rivers edge bigfoot xl they are on sale at mills fleet farm for 59.99 so you can pick up 2 for just over 100 dollars

Comment

Check Craigslist. Guys are forever selling off their gear (either to upgrade or because they just need the money). I've picked up $200 API Baby Grand stands for less that $50. Just be sure to inspect the items well before you hand over the money.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad