Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am in NC and I have a small area that I would like to plant something to attract whitetail. Its less than an acre what should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am in NC and I have a small area that I would like to plant something to attract whitetail. Its less than an acre what should

I am in NC and I have a small area that I would like to plant something to attract whitetail. Its less than an acre what should I plant or put out like a mineral plot or something?

I would try "Sweet Tea Wildlife Seed"
    Easy to Grow,NO Equipment Needed.

www.SouthernHabitats.com

Comment

If I were you I would go with Water or White Oak, try to plant a stand of 5 or 6 for them to eat. Then near the stand try to plant some bush honeysuckle, or high bush blueberry if it'll grow there. You also can't go wrong with dutch clover and cowpeas if you can get them established. These'll take a few years, but you can get long term attraction with that set up right there. Very little equipment is needed if you want to put a bit of time into it. Check out the QDMA website for more ideas of good things to plant. What's worked best for me in recent years is planting things that are native to the original area, but not super common anymore. Anything that'll help you stand out from the woods across the street is good. Goodluck!

Comment

Talk to your local extension agent for planting recommendations and still put out a mineral block.

Comment

For year-round forage, you might try a mix of clovers that mature at different times with a liberal and frequent dosing of Poast herbicide to kill any grasses that volunteer in your field---assuming you're planting open ground---clover needs sunshine. Deer love Japanese honeysuckle, too, and it's an all year plant that also provides cover if the deer don't browse it down too much. Check the internet for ways to grow it so the deer won't kill it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad