Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FirstBubba made a great point in one of his responses. Obviously, if your not in the woods, your not gonna shoot a deer. So my q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba made a great point in one of his responses. Obviously, if your not in the woods, your not gonna shoot a deer. So my q

FirstBubba made a great point in one of his responses. Obviously, if your not in the woods, your not gonna shoot a deer. So my question is, how many times have you taken a morning or evening off from hunting and checked the trail-cam only to find out the buck you were hunting paid you a visit? The hunting Gods seem to laugh @ me once a year like this. I have no one to blame but Anheuser Busch.... I mean myself.

My Grand Mother had a saying that is very appropriate in this and many other cases. "Men plan and God laughs".

Comment

Bubba is correct you will never harvest a game animal in your bed or on the computer.

Two years ago we hunted in the rain on the second day of the New Jersey bear season. At four in the morning on the following day the weather forecast stated rain all day, again. My hunting friend said his hunting clothes were still a little damp from the day before and if you accidentally wound a bear the blood trail will wash away. So we both decided not to hunt on that rainy third day.

Big Mistake! Nice size bears were on my bear bait during that rainy day with trail camera photos to prove it. Never again! In the future I will hunt with damp hunting clothes on and just take a sure killing shot on the bear so there is no tracking involved.

I did get my black bear that week. Click on my profile picture and then click on “view all photos“. Go back to December 2011. I am wheeling my bear out of the woods on a “Cabelas five hundred pound weight limit game cart“.

Comment

I have never had this happen. Wait! I'm retired and I have never owned a trail cam. But I always seemed to be able to connect without one of those gizmos even when I was working.

Comment

Here is my 2011 New Jersey black bear on that awesome five hundred pound weight limit game cart. Every hunter should have a Cabelas game cart.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001465234#1001465234

Comment

Mebbe so, Honk! But that ain't the point!
            You didn't connect sittin' in front of the TV or because you didn't leave the house for fear of gettin' wet or cold! Did ja?
            Trail cam, schmail cam, it was just evidence bein' (for the lack of a better term!) lazy cost 'em not only a good day in the woods, but they missed out on a "kill" they worked hard for!

Comment

After several days of hard hunting I usually take one day and sleep in until 'the crack of noon', well not quite, but you get the idea.
              The other thing I do is more noon till dark hunting for a few days if the deer have been pressured hard. Last several years it seems there has been a decrease of hunters in the area so the deer come back to normal rather quickly.

Comment

many times....murphy's law. I hunt every day I can but work, family, etc. can keep me out of the woods from time to time. That always seems to be the time when the big boy you been waiting on shows up.

Two years ago, I was sitting in a prime oak thicket that the deer were tearing up. It was a rainy, foggy morning. I stayed until 11:30 am then broke for lunch. I was kicking myself for not hunting a stand in a cherry tree about 100 yards or so across the thicket because I thought I had seen some does over there earlier and was hoping to stock the freezer. When I checked the trail cam at that stand, this is what was standing 20 yards from my tree www.deer30outdoors.com/hunting/deer/trail-cam-gallery/pict0418/

I was sick...

Comment

The biggest coues deer I have every seen killed was killed by a friend of mine who sat a tank I was hunting for 5 days strait. on night 6 i decided that I that i did not feel like going out and he asked if he could hunt the tank I said go for it just don't shoot the big 4x4 I was getting pics of. He said ok and left. He called about 3hr later and said that I don't says not to shoot the giant 5x6. 20 yard broadside 126" deer. I was happy for him but thought of how it could have been me if I was not so lazy.

Comment

When its TIME to Hunt be in the Woods Rain or Shine!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad