Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok guys, I am fixing to buy a rifle and I need you guys to decide the caliber for me between a .308 and a 30-06. I hunt in the s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok guys, I am fixing to buy a rifle and I need you guys to decide the caliber for me between a .308 and a 30-06. I hunt in the s

Ok guys, I am fixing to buy a rifle and I need you guys to decide the caliber for me between a .308 and a 30-06. I hunt in the southeast in hill country and the longest shot I will ever take is about 300 yards -The Kid

Willy,
    After you write your question or answer and hit 'submit'
    don't touch your computer until your answer or question is picked up - could take minutes - so don't touch your computer.
    If you have a activity icon on your computer watch it as it will show it is working. Sometimes things sloooww way down-so cool your jets and don't touch your computer. O.K. ?

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Not to rain on your parade, but picking out a cartridge should entirely fall upon your shoulders, not the members here. The cartridges you are looking at are both very good, but I would encourage you to check out rifles chambered in both cartridges and handle them, even shoot them if possible before you make the choice. Then get the one you want, not what someone else suggests.

Comment

Not to rain on your parade, but picking out a rifle should entirely fall upon your shoulders, not the members here. The cartridges you are looking at are both very good, but I would encourage you to check out rifles chambered in both cartridges and handle them, even shoot them if possible before you make the choice. Then get the one you want, not what someone else suggests.

Comment

Sorry for the double post. Maybe I should follow jhjimbos advice

Comment

30-06 will give you slightly more ammo options but both are excellent rifles. .308 might kick less but really either is fine just take the best priced caliber in the model you want.

Comment

This site is really in bad shape so I think double posts sometimes are inevitable till it clears up

Comment

If you are asking Members on F&S to Pick a Caliber, I Vote 308/Win.For all the Right Reasons!

Comment

Both great deer cartridges for that range so you can't make a mistake. I personally favor the 30-06 for hunting because you can shoot heavier bullets for deep brush or you can shoot effectively out to 500 yards if you need to. You can shoot highly accurate little 110g varmint bullets up to almost 3500 fps for excptional long range varmint shooting. You can load the 30-06 to perform at exactly .308 levels but you can't load the .308 to act like a 30-06. Finally, the 30-06 packs more energy if you ever intend to pursue game the size of bear, elk or moose.

Many claim that the .308 is more accurate but in actuality, the 30-06 is so close it is hard to distiinguish them at 1000 yards matches. Both cartridges have more accuracy than you need for hunting given a good rifle. Some tout the lower recoil of the .308 as an advantage but I can make a 30-06 duplicate the recoil in a flash. Ultimately the choice is personal and you have to be happy with your choice. Best of luck!

Comment

There are equal options of available cartridges for both and both are in the top 5 sales of ammo every year, so that should not be a concern. For hunting either will do the job on deer for as far as you cna hit them with the right bullet. The lower recoil of the .308 might be a consideration for you. No bad choice. If you have not shot both, you should before you buy.

Comment

If you're lucky enough to have friends with these calibers, try them out first and pick the one you like.

I favor the .308 due to the shorter action and have hunted with it for many years. You can take hogs, deer, moose, and with lighter loads, shoot varmints. Same with the .30-06, but maybe that one is a little better toward the larger game sizes (overkill with varmints).

Picking the rifle and kind of action you want is important as well. Good luck and have fun making the choice.

Comment

The .308 will take elk at reasonable ranges. That's all I hunted with for years. My hunting partner last year killed an elk with his .308 Win. Just not an extreme range elk gun, nor is the '06....

Comment

Both are excellent but since you're asking I recommend the .308 W. Within 300 yards you can take down anything from a prarie dog to an elk. Usually very accurate, if you reload you can load from 110 grain to 200 grain bullets although I prefer the 150 and 165 grain bullets in the .308. 30-06 will shoot the heavier bullets better but has a long action, although to me that is not an issue.

Comment

Since you asked, I also vote for the .308 - I have used a bolt action .308 Winchester for whitetail deer successfully since the 1960's. I have always been happy with its accuracy, knock down power and handling. However, I also agree with the people encouraging you to try out both to find the one that is right for you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad