Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rifles are illegal in my state. what would be a good shot gun that could shoot far not have much recoil and would be cheaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rifles are illegal in my state. what would be a good shot gun that could shoot far not have much recoil and would be cheaper?

rifles are illegal in my state. what would be a good shot gun that could shoot far not have much recoil and would be cheaper?

I personally dont know. But ive heard the Remington 870 is a good one. Use slugs or tight chokes that will get you the closest action to a rifle. By the way what state do you live in that rifles are illegal?

Comment

Mc Squizzy. Great answer. The Remington 870 is the most reliable shotgun made. get in it a 20 gauge if recoil is a problem.

Comment

ltmssbb

What State you in!

Comment

A 20 gauge with a rifled barrel will get you out to 125yrds and you wont have a problem just use a good sabot slug like Winchester Partiontion golds.

Comment

He probably means for hunting. Ohio,Iowa,Ill.Ind. all come to mind.
            As for your question I'd have to say either an 870 Remington, or (my fav.) a mossberg. in 20ga.
            As to Mr. Jones yes they are reliable but the U.S. Marines use the Mossberg. After extensive testing that is. Don't get me wrong I've got an 870 too, but it ain't my Mossberg.

Comment

If you want a 2 for 1 deal go with Mossberg, you can get a field barrel and slug barrel for about $300 bucks it is in the model 500 I dont know about the 835 you might check.

Comment

When in doubt, buy a Remington 870... that seems to be the case with almost everyting. It is such a great gun with a lot of capabilities and it will last you long enough to hand down to your son or grandson.

Comment

Pitty that you can't use a rifle. The best advise is to seek out something with a rifled barrel. Most manufacturers have them, and all major manufacturers make reliable guns. Find one that fits well.

As for kick, think 20 ga rather than 12. Even 410s are capable, but you shorten your range. There are a number of aftermarket recoil pads you could add to any gun.

Comment

I use a fully rifled browning A-bolt 12ga. and it is awesome. Your best bet is to get something with a fully rifled barrel. Guns with just a screw in slug choke are better than shooting your smooth bored mod cylinder barrel but to get the most out of your slug shooter you should get something fully rifled. browning unfortunately discontinued the A-bolt shotgun but I've heard very good things about the Savage bolt gun.

Comment

20ga. Remington 870. You can sometimes get a package deal with both smoothbore and rifled barrels. That would be my pick for a great all around hunting shotgun with low recoil.

Comment

I go with 870 Remington!

Comment

I go with 870 Remington!

Comment

I go with 870 Remington!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad