Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an ar in 556/223. Is there any way i can convert this to a deer sized cartridge? If so what caliber is best and how do i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an ar in 556/223. Is there any way i can convert this to a deer sized cartridge? If so what caliber is best and how do i

I have an ar in 556/223. Is there any way i can convert this to a deer sized cartridge? If so what caliber is best and how do i go about converting?

Mebbe ye can git a custom barrel for the 7mm TCU.

The ballistics exceed the .44 Mag at all ranges.

It izza blowed out and necked-up .223.

Comment

The AR itself can be converted to a more appropriate "deer" cartridge.
      On the other hand, though quite capable of taking deer, the 5.56/.223 is not considered an "appropriate" deer cartridge.
      I know AR uppers are available in cartridges such as 6.5mm Grendel and 6.8mm SPC, which either of would be a much better choice.
      Even that 7mm thingie woofie mentioned would be a better choice, though I'd like to see more "case capacity".

Comment

Purchase a new upper receiver/barrel group chambered in any number of deer appropriate/legal calibers. Your new upper will then be a drop in fit to your existing lower receiver group. Those AR chamberings appropriate for deer would range from the 6.8 Spec to 450 Socom. Give MidwayUSA a look online for some ideas.

Comment

You could install a new barrel on your rifle that is chambered in a cartridge more suitable for deer hunting. Those mentioned above are available and generally have effective range comparable to a 30-30 as long as you don't have to cut through brush. They are severely impacted by brush because of their speed and small diameter. If you are hunting in heavy brush, larger caliber chamberings like the 450 Bushmaster will be a better choice. Your choice will depend on your hunting conditions.
          You can install the barrel yourself pretty easily.

In open country, I consider the .223 to be superior to the 30-30 in accuracy, range and knock down power. My favorite .223 deer bullet is the Combined Technology 55g out to about 200 yards. I've seen about 40 or 50 antelope shot with these and a few deer. They leave a serious wound channel and normally achieve full penetration, at least three feet or more even through the heavy bones of a big buck.

If it were me, I'd probably spend the money on a decent deer rifle rather than upgrading an existing AR though. It will cost you slightly more but you will have a much better deer rifle.

If you are certain you can keep the bullet free of brush on the way to the deer, give the Combined Tech bullet a try in your .223. After a few deer, you will probably be quite happy with that.

Comment

Gotta agree with DakotaMan.

Comment

For the past Two 6 day Doe week Seasons in Fl, I have tested my Ruger MK-II 223 Compack W/18" Bbl
              using Hornady 223 Rem 60Gr TAP Ammo on Doe White Tails out to 175Yr+/- with one shot drop in their tracks success, the Does are in the 140 to 160# range(Neck or Hi-Lung Shots)just saying.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I think im gonna give those 223 rounds a try. N i guess who says you HAVE to shoot em in the lungs? Neck shots are sounding like somethig i will be attempting this season.

Comment

Check your state laws!

The smallest caliber allowed here is .243.

It is not large enough for the predators that are on your back trail!

Comment

Your A/R is a good varmint gun, you will spend a small fortune converting it into a deer rifle, keep it as it is(or modify for fun) and buy a bolt action deer rifle... .25-06, .270, .30-06, etc.....

Comment

I dont know much about converting but caliber wise i would recomend the .308
                      -The Kid

Comment

huntr,
                        If you choose to try your .223, don't feel obligated to do a neck shot. You have to be quite a marksman to make that shot consistently. It is sure quite deadly if you can make it but the bullet I mentioned will kill any deer that you hit in the kill zone you would use with a 30-06. Most of us here use the high shoulder shot to avoid meat damage. That clips the tops of both lungs and imparts maximum shock. If you feel you need to aim for the center of the chest, the 55g Combined Tech will penetrate plenty well enough within 200 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist....
                          Today, 01:11 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                        • Another New Upper
                          by DakotaMan
                          Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                          Today, 12:54 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          Pighunter: I don't need to speak for Christ. His message is clear enough and simple enough for anyone to grasp. There is no such thing as God's chosen....
                          Today, 12:15 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          Har, har. Nice try. And just what do you think drove earliest societal construction? Survival of the family unit/herd. It's ingrained in our DNA through...
                          Today, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X