Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think people have forgot the principals of hunting with a conservationist view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think people have forgot the principals of hunting with a conservationist view?

Do you think people have forgot the principals of hunting with a conservationist view?

The majority of the hunters are good hunters who believe in fair chase and who obey all the hunting regulations. It is sad that some hunters feel the need to poach game.

The majority of the hunting fraternity wouldn't shoot an animal that is protected because of their low population numbers.

I can’t stand it when hunter has a photo with the dead animal’s tongue hanging out and blood all over the place then he puts the photo on a website for all to see. How hard is it to pull the tongue out and cut it off ith your hunting knife? How hard is it to clean up blood on the animal?

Remember, if that photo is posted on a website the Bambi Lovers will use that horrible photo to recruit new members who are appall by it.

Comment

No, I don't think most people have forgotten the principles of hunting with a conservationist view.

Comment

Hunters who work to conserve wildlife are still in the majority. As in any mix of people, there are a few who seem to enjoy violating the law and common sense. They often get the press but I continue to be impressed with the people I meet in any sportsman's gathering, in the woods or on the water.

Comment

No. They pretty much go hand in hand like an old married couple.

Comment

I think the non-hunting public sees the conservation side of hunters more and more. Especially when they have a problem with an animal and hunters come to the rescue to properly manage the wildlife. Problem bears in New Jersey come to mind. I am sure there are other examples.
            If hunters keep a good public profile and teach young people hunting the sport will be safe for future generations.

Comment

Forgotten? No!
              Practiced? Depends pn who you ask and how honest they are.
              Personally, I believe that the greater majority of hunters are ethical and stay legal. But just as with any other laws, there is that contingency of "hunters"(and I use that term lightly!) who seem to feel that game laws are "contest" rules.

Comment

It is unfortunate that our new generation of hunters are getting more direction from TV hunting shows than from real life mentors. The entertainment industry has made everything in life a contest. If the buck doesn't score the highest they get "voted off the island". Just the fact that deer are scored and therefore referred to as a number is sad. Instead of thanking the noble animal and the Creator who made it, the aping TV hunt hosts are pumping their fists in the air and counting points over and over while ignoring the pressing need to field dress the carcass and properly care for the meat. The meat is just the byproduct of another set of antlers to hang on the wall. The first two thirds of the show is the host "passing" on more than adequate animals that would have yielded a lot of fine meat yet that the host deems not to have a big enough rack. A new emphasis needs to be placed on where the real trophy of the hunt is best displayed; right next to the mashed potatoes.

Comment

I think the vast majority of hunters are conservationists by nature. We harvest and thin as needed, and by regulation. There is a very small minority, as in any group, out there that think that the rules do not apply to them as they are special, or have privileges that are not enjoyed by mere mortals. These individuals need to held to account and prosecuted to the very fullest of the law. Sorry but poachers and unethical hunters are a pet peeve with me.

Comment

I don't think it has been forgotten. the majority of us actively announce and demonstrate it each season by our actions in the field. there are always a few knuckleheads out there that are quick to do something stupid and grab a few headlines.
                    So long as we remember that each of us are ambassadors of the sport, and conduct ourselves in a manor befitting the principles, respect, and tradition on which the privilege of hunting was founded, we will continue to educate and gain understanding/support from non-hunters and other hunters alike.

Comment

I know for a fact that most of them haven't. At my club it's 1 doe and big bucks the rest of the season for a person. Kill one to eat, kill one to put on the wall, and save the others for next season.
                      -The Kid

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad