Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on 30-06 inside 30yds for deer? 150grain corelokt

Opinions on 30-06 inside 30yds for deer? 150grain corelokt

Overkill! Without a doubt will accomplish the task.
    A shoulder shot will pretty much obliterate both shoulders.

Comment

Sounds like it meets the criteria fer "enough gun!"

Comment

Inside 30 yds? Better get a shoulder, or that fast pass through will leave a dead deer running, and you with a tracking job, and no blood to follow.

Comment

Thannks fellas. Im trying to decide if i should use my 30-06, 12 or 20 guage for the inside 30 shots

Comment

On opening day in Michigan my spot was taken so I had to find another in the dark. I had a 300yd shot on one side and a 400yd possible shot on the other. 10 minutes after the season opened a 10pt appeared 40yds in front of me. I had a .300WM Weatherby so I aimed at the bottom of the chest and got a clean heart shot. Luckily did not damage other meat.
            30-06 at 30yds you have to make a very careful shot so as not to destroy meat.

Comment

At that (short) distance, the .30-'06 is actually more than you require. If it's the only option you've got, you are certainly equipped with a versatile cartridge, but the .30-'06 comes into its own in terms of downrange ballistics. It will hit hard at a significantly greater distance. At 30 yards, a .30-30 would be more than enough. Good luck afield.

Comment

Of the three you mentioned, I'd prefer the 30-06. Just make sure to aim high just bn behind the shoulder to minimize the meat damage. You will just catch ribs and knock the tops off both lungs; one of the deadliest shots you can make. Slugs poke a hole but have much less shocking impact. I've seen well hit deer run a quarter mile or more with a slug.

Comment

30-06 will definitely do the job and a well place shot and you could escape with minimum meat damage. A poorly placed shot and you can throw the front half the deer away.

Comment

Any deer that you can't kill inside of 30 yards with a .30-06 would have to be supernatural, zombie, vampire or all of the above and shouldn't be messed with in the first place. With normal deer, inside of 30 yards a well thrown brick would probably do the job.

Comment

I shot a bull moose at twenty yards maybe less in his bed with 30-06 180 gr. Right through the heart. He got up and ran but no further than similar deer I have shot ... which is not far at all. About twenty yards smack into a tree. I don't recall there being a whole lot of damage to meat. If you're only shooting such a short distance perhaps think about bumping up to 180-200 grain to minimize expansion. 150 grains is liable to explode at such close range, especially a CoreLok. I had very bad luck shooting deer with 165 gr CoreLok - poor knock down and meat wrecking. I can imagine 150 grains would be even worse in that regard.

Comment

So how do you know you are going to have shots consistently under 30 yards or any distance for that matter? You going to pack multiple weapons on every deer hunt? Any 150 grain Core Lokt or most any other 150 gr bullet at near 3,000 fps will blowup a deer shoulder at 30 yards.

Comment

if you are concerned about meat damage, at such a close range, place your shot in the deer's neck. A 30-06 round is more than capable of severing the deer's spine and rupturing the arteries feeding he brain. The deer will drop in its tracks and expire within sec's if not instantly. I have long been told to shoot them in the neck if less than 50 yards.
                          I do not recommend this shot at longer ranges as it is a smaller target than the typical vital area leaving little room for error. But at 30 yards you shouldn't have a problem.

Just an idea, let your own ethics and skill level dictate your decision.

Comment

Generally, thirty yards or less, I follow my old military training and fix bayonets. But that was during the old M1 days. Best to all

Comment

As my Daddy told me when they were close, back in the 50's. "That's a neck shot son."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad