Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you have fish or wild game that you got yourself on the menu? Does your season take last your family all year unti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you have fish or wild game that you got yourself on the menu? Does your season take last your family all year unti

How often do you have fish or wild game that you got yourself on the menu? Does your season take last your family all year until the next season?

I am good on walleye, perch and salmon, but definitely need to get some venison and small game this fall.
    Wild game on the menu about 3-4 times a month but that is also supplemented with some store bought fish - shrimp, lobster, etc.

Comment

Too rarely. I'm still a carnivore by preference, but it seems much of my successful "hunting & fishing" is done in supermarket aisles these days. I hope to change that in retirement.

Comment

Elk about 3 times per month or so. Fish about once a month. Not a big fish eater. A whole elk will generally last me 2 seasons.

Comment

Not near often enough! LOL!
          Last deer season was good. Took two, gave one to a friend. One was good, just not enough.
          Local impoundment is 15 feet low due to drought! Fishing's been a bust the last two years! Still got two or three pieces of salmon from Ak. Maybe go back next summer.
          I prefer venison to beef!
          Hand caught to store bought fish!
          Kinda like EJP! Most of my success has been in an aisle lately! ....and I'm ready for a turn-a-round! Maybe this fall!

Comment

I'm never without venison. I can't remember the last time I didn't have any in the freezer. We eat venison probably once a week. I wish I eat more caught fish. I only ever eat a couple trout here and there in the spring.

Comment

I depend on feral pork and seafood as a major part of my food supply. I put as much up in my freezers as I have space. The pork is mainly put up in colder weather when it does not spoil so quickly and there are no flies to deal with. Fish however are constantly put up all year. Then as to cooking and eating, pork products of one kind or another end up on the table almost every day because I even render out grease from the pork fat. When there is fresh fish, it takes preference over frozen, but at any rate, we eat fish on average of three days a week. Lately we have been using a lot of fish from the freezer because we have had rain almost every day. Too much fresh water drain off over a number of days hurts the saltwater fishing that I like to do at the Big Mouth where weeks bay empties into Mobile Bay.

Comment

My Freezers are never empty,with Feral Hog,venison,gator. In my case it don't pay to fish with friends who do and leave shrimp,lobster,snapper,red,albacore and the single Church Ladies with there covered dishes.

Comment

When I have it I eat venison 2-3 times a week, but living the life of a traveling biologist I rarely have a lot of freezer space. I grew up on fresh fish though probably only had it 2-3 times every 2 months. When I get settled in one place finally I plan to keep a freezer fully stocked with game and fish.

Comment

2-3 times a week. Last nights dinner was elk burgers on the grill.

Comment

4-5 days a week are set aside for wildgame and fish, the other two nights go to home grown beef or a local man's pork. I'm single and live alone. Last year I shot an elk, two whitetail does, two turkeys, two wild boars, limit of sharptails, limit of huns, limit of pheasants, limit of sage grouse. Also went to Minnesota twice and brought home limits of walleye, sunfish, crappies, and pike both times. Supplemented with catfish, sauger, and rainbows here I do quite well. I take more game on an average here than I can eat myself so give a large portion away to some elderly locals who can't go out and hunt themselves anymore.

Comment

Usually about once a month. When duck is in season I eat it as much as possible so I don't break my possession limit, toward the end of the season I slow down so I have some to spread out over the year. My wife doesn't eat what I take so I end up sharing with the kids but that's more for me. I usually take one deer a year and that's enough jerky, steaks and roasts for me to space out till next season. Wish I could eat more but I'm gone a lot.

Comment

My wife, son and I are eating wild game that I harvested (deer, turkey, squirrel, or rabbit) at least 4 times a week unless it was a bad season. Last year I dropped 5 big whitetails in MD and so we will have just enough to get us through the year until sept when this season opens again.

If your creative and know how to butcher, you can get any cut of meat from a deer that you can beef and prepare it in the same manor. It helps to break up the routine of eating venison most nights.

Comment

I grew up eating wildlife almost exclusively. However, my wife and family enjoy a menu of chicken, shrimp, beef,etc. much more than my fish, antelope, deer, etc. They also like to eat in resaurants a lot. As a result, I usually give most of my wild game to other members of my famly and neighbors who truely enjoy it. I release most fish that I catch so someone else can enjoy the catch like I have. I do keep a quarter of venison or antelope annually and that usually lasts all year. Antelope is my overall favorite meat and cooked like a tender beef fillet, few people notice that it is wild game.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad