Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about several meat packing houses recently getting permits to process horse meat? Would that be wild horses fo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about several meat packing houses recently getting permits to process horse meat? Would that be wild horses fo

What do you think about several meat packing houses recently getting permits to process horse meat? Would that be wild horses for domestic consumption?

The article Ah read said it wuz for export only.

They called it the "World Protein Market."

Comment

I'd be willing to try horse meat.

Comment

There is a breed of horse in France that is bred specifically for slaughter.
        You won't find horse meat in any American market for sale just like you won't find any "wild" game for sale. (they do sell farm raised venison! )
        Americans have a connection with horses that won't allow them to eat horse. Horse, in France, is just another "meat"!

Comment

Horses are the sacred cow of Americans.

Comment

That's good news. As I understand it a few years back there was some kind of ban imposed that forbade horses from being processed even at rendering plants. Stupid! I had to can out several horses. I didn't feel great about it but I know they were put down humanely which is what I would have done. I didn't have a back forty and backhoe to bury them.

Horses are generally speaking much cleaner animals than beef and ... chickens ... well, those damned stinky things are at the top of the heap for filthiness! So what's the issue? As far as I know there's no mad horse disease out there.

Another thing that cheezes me is the regulations against selling cattle with cancer eye or udder. Even at a discount they can't be put up for auction anymore. Not even for dog food! And no one can "catch" cancer from eating any part of a beef cow (except possibly if it's been chewing tobacco). Cancer is not contagious. People who make some of these food regulations don't have a clue!

Harvesting of wild horses has been carefully regulated for at least thirty years. Many of them should go to the packers because they have bad feet and other problems. But no, it makes more sense to let them run wild and free ... and buggered up with pain 24/7 365 days a year! It's all aesthetics and no horse sense.

Comment

Ethically harvested and properly prepared, I'd call it "dinner". It makes better sense than wild horses being killed and wasted to trim the herd.

Comment

I ate horse when in france and it was dam good with roasted onions and greens.

Comment

Strictly using "If-Then" reasoning let us say that you are what you eat. Then let us say that I like to eat rump roasts. By using that line of deductive reasoning, IF I was eating horse rump roast- Then I would be a horse's rump. It would create an even worse stigma if the meat was jack donkey. But in reality I am reminded of the words in red letters from THE BOOK: *Rise, Peter, kill, and eat*. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. Then Peter was answered again in red letters, *What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common*. So if it is OK with God to kill and eat, who am I to argue?

Comment

What are the laws on slaughtering donkeys and mules?

Comment

Santa, you had me worried there for a second! I thought you were heading in another direction!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad