Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sitting on the porch swing sipping homemade hard cider and watching the aspens shimmer I still can't get the idea that summer is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting on the porch swing sipping homemade hard cider and watching the aspens shimmer I still can't get the idea that summer is

Sitting on the porch swing sipping homemade hard cider and watching the aspens shimmer I still can't get the idea that summer is slipping away. I just got a dozen of yesterday's brook trout ready for the skillet along with summer squash fresh from the garden for tonight's supper, yet I know that in a couple of months I'll be winterizing the mower and tuning up the snow blower. Just this morning I was on the Game and Fish site ready to pounce on left over deer licenses. Soon I'll be spending more time at the reloading bench than the fly tying bench to get ready for hunting. So, who drew what tags and what are the planned hunts?

I have an OTC elk tag waiting for me in Colorado come mid August. Might even spring for a bear tag if I'm still around in September. I see lots of bear in Colorado.

Comment

The usual. Five weeks of goose hunting with the dogs. Maybe sneak in a couple of afternoons grouse hunting before the loonies show up from down east for opening of moose hunting. Then back to Montana for six weeks of pheasant hunting and helping various relatives and friends get their deer (which usually means I get to gut them). Then home to await the next hunting season.

Comment

Chose to accumulate a point in the bear lottery, already got my once in a lifetime Michigan bull elk tag in 2011. So everything thing else is over the counter. Unless, I go for the new wolf season, which would be a trip. But I have a feeling the Otterscrubbers are gonna get it canceled before it even happens.

Comment

The license for the County I hunt is for 3 deer.
          Opens 9/28 for archery and runs through 2/2014 with a gun and black powder season mixed in.
          At camp recently I recently saw some really nice deer and some fawns so his could be a good year.

Comment

Well I live in central Texas and I can't wait for summer to be over. As for drawing tags we don't do that here, you just go down to your local hunting supply store or walmart and just buy a license with tags on it.

Comment

still waiting to find out if i drew deer or sheep already missed on elk and antelope.

Comment

Mule deer tag in unit 31 in Colorado, cow tag in unit 30, OTC bull 2nd Rifle season.

Comment

Dave, I'm only slightly jealous! OK really jealous! Hope you have a good year. I haven't even got to enjoy summer yet between rain, mowing, doing things for everyone but myself, and kids sports. I'm on my way to totally miss summer if I'm not careful.

Comment

no trips outside of illinois this year. New HVAC and oldest going to college put a slap down on available funds. I'll have a shotgun and bow turkey permit, 2 archery deer permits, and 2 shotgun deer permits.

Comment

Taking trapping and hunter safety course hopefully.

Comment

Looking forward to my bucket list elk and muley hunt in Montana this fall. Working on loads now. Added a muzzle brake to my .300 Dakota so I could develop those long range loads without a chiropractor. Trying Retumbo, RL25, & H1000 to see how fast I can move my Berger 210s. A few I tested chronoed over 3400 fps but have more testing to do since that is not logical to me... especially as well as they grouped. It must have been a chronograph malfunction. Still no signs of excessive pressure either.

Working up some nice Barnes 175g LRX 30-06 loads too. Still finding it difficult to get powder, bullets, primers, etc. Collecting supplies like a new cot, a new backpack, elk calls, and various goodies. May also get a bear or wolf license after I get a chance to scout the area.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad