Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was asked today why I do so much deer hunting in MD, when I live 12 hrs away in GA? I responded with "Bigger bodies, bigger r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was asked today why I do so much deer hunting in MD, when I live 12 hrs away in GA? I responded with "Bigger bodies, bigger r

I was asked today why I do so much deer hunting in MD, when I live 12 hrs away in GA? I responded with "Bigger bodies, bigger racks, bigger local populations, but most importantly its where I grew up and where all my friends and family with whom I can share the experience with still are." Where are your favorite hunting spots and why do you hold them so dear to your heart?

I like to Hunt North Fl/South Ga Border for the same reason Large Body Deer,200+# and Big Racks with out a 12Hr Ride. 3Hr to my lease,with only 3Hr to my Sons in Senoia Ga. were I hunt their lease in Meriweather Co.the home of the Largest Racked Deer in the State of Ga.All just off I-75N

Comment

Deer30, my favorite hunting location is Saskatchewan, Canada. You have constant deer action. Most bucks have a nice set of antlers and weight at least two hundred pounds. Any east coast newcomer to Saskatchewan must learn not to shoot a buck that would shoot back in your home state. Every rack buck I seen in Saskatchewan was a shooter in New Jersey but you should pass them up and wait for a Saskatchewan shooter.

Comment

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's not to often you see any huge deer up there anymore mostly due to the harsh winter and the increasing wolf population. But just like DEER30 that is where I grew up and that is where my family lives. Haven't been up there in a few years to hunt though, to hard to get time off of work.

Comment

Back in 2003 I move the north carolina from NY. Up until the 2011 season I traveled back to NY to hunt the gun opener every year for the first week. I love the camaraderie of deer camp with my two best friends whom I've known since grade school. Now they both have kids and work alot, so not much time to hunt with them any more. Those were the good ol' days!

Comment

Treestand - From what I have gathered in my short stay here in GA, is that the big bodied deer are found on private land as a result of food plot preparation. Do you agree?

In GA, I hunt all Nat. forest and so far the mature deer I have seen would be lucky to break 100-110lbs field dressed.

I bought a Yukon last year from a guy who had some local mounts of some decent bucks (125-130") in his office. He said they weighed over 200lbs. They looked to me like they could fit their bodies inside one of the cornfed deer I kill in MD. We got a good laugh at ribbing each other over that.

I have had the opportunity and privlege to live and hunt in each state in which I have lived. You seem to always bump in to someone while hunting, share some stories, talk turkey, and possible make a new friend. But there is just something about home. I have hunted the same MD farm for almost 20 yrs now, and so long as the owner continues to let me, I don't ever plan to stop.

Thanks for sharing everyone

Comment

I hunt the Adirondacks in New York each year with family and friends. Lots of good times at deer camp. When you get a deer or bear it will be a good size one.

Comment

There are big deer everywhere but there are more big deer the further North you go.

Deer30, Have you had a chance to check out Bioguy's office in Athens?

Comment

You can't get me out of the fence rows and corn field edges of Southern Indiana from Oct through Jan. Southwest Texas also holds a piece of my heart.

Comment

@DEER30: You are Right! Private Lease Land holds some of the Largest Deer in Most States but You PAY the price $1,200 up to $6,000 a Year for still hunt only Clubs or still/Dog hunt Clubs, it all come down to how much your Budget is set for.
                    I did them 7&10 Hr rids to the Adirondacks for "BIG DEER" and found the same size deer on state land 2Hr from Home.

Comment

Treestand, that private land lease fee for an entire season is cheap.
                      I pay a guide/outfitter over four to five grand just to bow hunt elk in Colorado or hunt deer in Saskatchewan for only a week. That covers food, lodging, your wild game packed out and being picked up at the airport.

Comment

Gary DE: You can Drive or Fly to Fl. and Join a Hunt-Lease Club and come down in Season to Hunt and Go to the Beaches!!!

Comment

i am partal to arizona whitetail because they are the toughest deer I have ever hunted. deer over 90lbs dressed are not common but no other subspecies is as elusive that way their nickname is the grey ghost. I also love upstate new york. it has something to do with land that has been in the family for almost 150 years

Comment

buckhunter - Not yet. Might meet up with Deer30 @ the QDMA National conference here in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I started hunting squirrels in my grampa's woods. He only owns about 20 acres of woods and a big brushy field. I love hunting that area, I know every square inch of that property.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad