Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know a "trophy" deer is in the eye of the beholder, but for the sake of rack vs age, which would you prefer? The big rack to s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know a "trophy" deer is in the eye of the beholder, but for the sake of rack vs age, which would you prefer? The big rack to s

I know a "trophy" deer is in the eye of the beholder, but for the sake of rack vs age, which would you prefer? The big rack to show off, or the greater feeling of accomplishment for having out smarted a wiley old buck?

Please check out www.deer30outdoors.com/how-old-is-he/ I would like to know if you agree my age estimations of the bucks in the photos. If not, leave a comment explaining which photo you disgree with, what age you believe it to be, and why?
    Thanks all

Comment

Since most of my hunting success is a product of luck, it would not be appropriate for me to be especially proud or boastful about any of my kills.
      With regard to deer racks, I am indifferent to length and spread, but I greatly admire stoutness of main beam with heavy pearling at the base. Symmetry and total number of tines is a big plus.

Comment

typically age and big rack go hand in hand. killing any big racked buck is an accomplishment.

Comment

Old buck, clever one, for sure. I remember a wise old buck that used to live in a ravine with thick cover and very steep sides, a good little trout stream ran through it, and I could never figure out access to the bottom, so even though I could get a glimpse of him I could never get off a shot with a chance of retrieval.His rack was not wide but very thick and always covered with vegetation.

Comment

I'll take age over rack any day with any buck over 3.5 years old considered a trophy.

I disagree with your 4.5 year-old picture. The buck in that picture has the classic tapered body of a 3.5 year-old.

The action shot of the picture for the 5.5 year-old does not lend itself to judging a good age, but based on body characteristics, that deer does not look 5.5. The tarsal glands are not nearly as stained as I would expect to find on a 5.5 year-old animal, and I'm not seeing much for a saggy belly, but that could be because he is in mid-stride and not relaxed.

The final deer is no doubt >5.5 and he might even be older than 6.5.

The QDMA National Convention is here in Athens GA this year...you plan on going? If you do, you can find me at the Big Game Logic booth in the Hunter's Hall. www.qdma.com/corporate/national-convention Hope to see you there!

Comment

Bioguy - Thanks for the critique. the 4.5 yr old pic was a tough one for us. We actualy voted and it was 3 for 4.5 and 2 for 3.5 based upon the presented picture and others taken of the same deer.

I do believe the 5.5 year old deer to be accurate. I seen this buck in person last year and had several other photos. unfortunately, this one was the clearest pic. Hopefully I will get a shot at him this year and we can confirm it.

The last buck I was fortunate enough to harvest with my bow a few days after this photo was taken. Althogh I have killed bucks with larger racks, he is one of my favorite.

I hope to catch the convention. If I make it, i will definately look you up and introduce myself.

Comment

Good deal! I look forward to seeing you there if you can make it.

Comment

I would rather out smart a old buck any day.

Comment

Rack for me. I get tired of people on the outdoor channel passing up huge deer because they are "not old enough".
                    -The Kid

Comment

Rack for me. I get tired of people on the outdoor channel passing up huge deer because they are "not old enough".
                      -The Kid

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad