Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just drew a buck mule deer tag for the first time but its a muzzle loader tag and I know nothing about muzzle loaders. Any po

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just drew a buck mule deer tag for the first time but its a muzzle loader tag and I know nothing about muzzle loaders. Any po

I just drew a buck mule deer tag for the first time but its a muzzle loader tag and I know nothing about muzzle loaders. Any pointers.

try this www.deer30outdoors.com/sighting-in-a-muzzleloader/ it will help get you started. Most important thing to remember is to keep in clean.

Comment

Ditto~~DEER30 +1
      CVA..has a Vid-disk with every Muzzle-loader, The DOs and Don'ts of Black Power usage.

Comment

You have time to get a nice BP gun and work with it. Some companies offer nice starter packages that have just about everything you need. I use power belt bullets and they work fine. Triple Seven primers and powder are popular.
        There are scopes specifically made for BP, but a good 4X should do the trick.
        Good luck and Happy hunting. Remember, do not shoot your ram rod.

Comment

Before you start buying scopes or even BP pellets, check the regs of the state you are hunting. These items cannot be used on BP in lots of the states that have mule deer populations.

Comment

Most factory sights are bad. I've had trouble even seeing my front sight in low light conditions and it is terrible for running game. I'd suggest using a low magnification scope if your state allows it. You have one shot and you want it to be a good one.

Comment

Traditional (side lock) or In-line. Big difference! I started with a T/C Hawken in 1974/5. Then to the T/C Renegade. I've collected several deer and hogs with both. A REAL "charcoal" burner is awesome to hunt with. I do have a T/C Omega, but have only taken a coyote and a turkey with it.

The modern "in-line"rifles are much more forgiving. Traditionals are a bit persnickety!

Comment

There is a learning curve with traditional muzzleloaders, and that is half the fun. Shooting an in-line is like shooting any single shot except that the packaged load components are loaded through the muzzle instead of the breech.

Comment

persnickety Bubba? Nice word! haven't heard that in awhile.

definately check the regs. Our team member Levi, drew a tag for colorado elk & mule deer. Loose powder, no sabots, and no scope. He has to tear down his set up for his september Colorado hunt then get it all back in order for his october MD whitetail hunt. A busy little lad.

Comment

Why is Colorado against scopes on muzzleloaders but you can use a scope on your rifle? It is a drag to remove your scope and then have to reset it again for another state. The scope on the muzzleloader would have less wounded animals in the forest.

I guess they want to keep it primitive. Maybe archery bows should go back to a primitive long bows with wooden arrows in Colorado.

Comment

I question a lot of the decisions being made by state DNR's. My beloved home state of MD has a stupid reg. regarding bag limits for bucks. IN region B (mine) you can kill 3 bucks a year (1 with each weapon). If you kill two does, you can buy a bonus buck tag. My problem is that I am primarily a bow hunter. Therefore, should I get a chance to kill 3 big bucks during bow season, I can not, despite having three buck tags in my pocket. You can use bow during muzzleloader and rifle seasons, but I typically don't get the chance to hunt then.

So rather than being issued 3 buck tags to be used at any time during the season, I am being limited because I choose to hunt with the more challenging bow. Silly if you ask me.

Sorry, I will climb down from my soapbox now.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad