Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For archery do you use fixed blade or expandable broad heads, with a compound bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For archery do you use fixed blade or expandable broad heads, with a compound bow?

For archery do you use fixed blade or expandable broad heads, with a compound bow?

I use Rage 3 blade expandables

Comment

I use fixed blade for deer and expandable for turkey, hope that helps!

Comment

this is a ford and chevy question man. I prefer a mix like stud muffin but I have killed deer with mechanicals and turkey with fixed. the main thing with all hunting is shot placement. The people who say they shot a animal through the boiler room and the broadhead didn't do its job are wrong 90%+ of the time. The old man had plenty of stories and pics to prove that a field point through the boiler room will drop deer quickly and efficiently. Im not saying don't use broadheads! Find ones that fly well and have a good rep. For fixed muzzy's, whack-em's, g5 montec's, and g5 striker's are great. For mechanicals rage's, ulmer edge's, and vortex are great. Some people swear by grim reaper heads but i have had issues with them I literly seen a man shoot a javelina with them right behind the shoulder broadside and the arrow has come out near the back hip (this is why I said 90%-the only thing we could have figured was that some of the blades opened while others did not and that the arrow might have glanced off the shoulder making the blade thing worst. Finally you may not be able to fine vortex broadheads because the company went under but they are some of the best heads I have ever used. find some that you like at fly well and run with them.

Comment

I use fixed blade Muzzy's, My brother-in-law loves his mechanical broad heads. They both get the job done, so I guess it's a matter of preference.

Comment

I use fixed. I think you get better pentration. I shoot Magnus Stingers.

Comment

I've used both but prefer the fixed blade... less to worry about as I walk through the trees. The mechanicals can spring on brush. Both fully penetrate deer sized game and leave a fine hole. My fixed blades are much more accurate than they need to be.

Comment

Deer most expandables are just fine...Elk fixed ...I just use a muzzy on everything

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad