Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to minimize your sound while hunting deer? My suggestions in first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do to minimize your sound while hunting deer? My suggestions in first post.

What do you do to minimize your sound while hunting deer? My suggestions in first post.

Check out this article I wrote at www.deer30outdoors.com/did-you-hear-that/ for my suggestions on reducing your noise in the deer woods

Comment

Don't know about you DEER30, but these old Okie farmers get tic'd when you mow a path across their wheat pasture! LOL!
      A clear trail to my stand has always been a priority. No so much for noise reduction (that's just a +), but to facilitate access, especially in the dark.

Comment

Polar Fleece or Wool clothing is real quiet.

Comment

I'm predominately a spot and stalk hunter. Boots with a soft sole are a must, moving slowly is a must, but most importantly is planning my path to the animal. What cover will allow me to remain hidden but not be so thick that noise becomes an issue. I never carry anything with me that can make a noise that will give me away. If someone is along with me, which seldom happens, we agree on hand signals before we start, if we must get each others attention quickly we use three mouth clicks, no talking period.

Comment

all good points.

And yes Bubba I can see why the farmers may frown upon a pretty little path through their fields. lol! I would lose my hunting privleges in a hurry if I took out crops. But one year I did mow an 8ft wide (2 swaths with the riding mower)to a stand across the middle of a field left out of the crop rotation that year. A fresh crop of green clover volunteered up in my path, accidentally creating a wonderful food plot for the year. All kinds of advantages to be had.

Comment

I don't like disrupting that much of the local flora. Just a clean little path no wider (3' max) than necessary for my Honda Recon.

Comment

Gary Devine beat me to it. Exactly!

Comment

I always check that I do not hit my fletchings at all when I am walking, if you hit them against the grain they are quite loud.

Comment

I where ether thick socks, sneaky feet or cat paws over my boots when I spot and stalk hunt. I prefer sneaky feet with peace of glued to the sole foam in them. They stay on are durable and quiet but a bit awkward to walk in 24/7 so I keep them in an easy to reach pocket and slip them on when I am planing a stalk.

Comment

Thoroughly familiarize yourself with the path to your chosen position. Avoid clothing that makes noise when it rubs against itself or against brush. Move s-l-o-w-l-y, deliberately and patiently.

Comment

Go wary wary slow to be wary wary quiet or the waskly wabbits may hear you.

Comment

Hi...

An interesting blog. Thanks.

I am most interested in being very careful as to where I step...making sure to the bast that I'm able to not snap any twigs.

I know of unofficial 'tests' done with black bears where bears seen nearby were subjected to whistles being blown. They weren't phased one bit. Didn't bother them at all.

When a twig was snapped, that was a whole other story. The bears became instantly alert...!!

Comment

Hi...

I know. I know...I misspelled a word.

Comment

I get to my stand at least 1/2 hour before i expect the deer will come through. I have both synthetic clothing like the Browning Hydro Suede and also the Filson Double Mackinaw. Both are quiet but I will take the Browning if rain or snow is predicted and the Filson in the very cold.
                              I park my ATV about 200 yds from my spot and walk the last part.
                              Lastly, i use ArcticShield over booties and a muffler for my hands when real cold. Stay warm and you are less likely to move around much.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad