Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have recently been asked by a friend "Why do you act so crazy when you kill an animal?" I first explained that I don't. I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have recently been asked by a friend "Why do you act so crazy when you kill an animal?" I first explained that I don't. I am

I have recently been asked by a friend "Why do you act so crazy when you kill an animal?" I first explained that I don't. I am excited and pumped up, but I don't jump around screaming like some of the the people you may see on TV. But I get excited because having a chance to take a shot, and being successful, is the culmination of months of preparation, hardwork, anticipation, and luck. The fact that I was ready for the challenge and came out on top is exillerating! My friend then asked "Doesn't it get old?" I replied "If it ever does, I'll stop going." My friend is a non-hunter, if you haven't already guessed, and she was under the assumption that you just go hunting one day and get one every time out. After a long conversation, she decided she wants to try deer hunting this fall. I felt very proud that I was able to expose someone new to something I love so much. Who was the last person that you introduced to the sport of hunting?

Last year I got a new co-worker into hunting and this spring into fishing. He grew up in a non hunting/fishing family and thought it was for rednecks. His dad always looked down at hunting and he inherited the same view. So I took him to the range with a shotgun, a .22, and a .243 And he had a blast then I made him take a safety course and get his license and took him small game hunting at my house and he's hooked and I mean hooked! A 30 year old guy was like I was when I was 12! This year I'm going to stick him in a stand a get him a deer. Now I given him an old flyrod set-up and have him loving the frustrations of backcasting into trees! He has a 3 year old boy and took him to a pond for some bluegill fishing and said to me he wished his dad would've done the same with him but he's glad that he's doing it now!

Comment

Last year I got a new co-worker into hunting and this spring into fishing. He grew up in a non hunting/fishing family and thought it was for rednecks. His dad always looked down at hunting and he inherited the same view. So I took him to the range with a shotgun, a .22, and a .243 And he had a blast then I made him take a safety course and get his license and took him small game hunting at my house and he's hooked and I mean hooked! A 30 year old guy was like I was when I was 12! This year I'm going to stick him in a stand a get him a deer. Now I given him an old flyrod set-up and have him loving the frustrations of backcasting into trees! He has a 3 year old boy and took him to a pond for some bluegill fishing and said to me he wished his dad would've done the same with him but he's glad that he's doing it now!

Comment

I took a gal I went to grad school with on her first turkey hunt this year. She took a nice jake on the last morning of her season.
        She had never killed anything before but felt that if she was going to eat meat she should know how to hunt. Her smile was a mile wide and when I asked her if she wanted to come back next year she answered "Can't wait!".
        That was time well spent.

Comment

I actually cried when I killed my first deer. I understood that I took a life and thanked God for letting me. I even thank God for fish I catch. I try to teach my kids that we must take life to sustain ours. We must be thankful and appreciative. This is a good thing. They understand that a burger doesnt grow on a tree.

Comment

GERG - I know what you mean. I have heard some kids that did not realize the fish we ate came from the river or ocean. They assumed it was the box in the freezer at wal-mart.

Comment

I took my brother-in-law out. Now I wish I hadn't - that jacka$$ will take any shot at anything, no regard for the clean kill or the safety of those around him. I don't hunt with him anymore... I won't even let him come with me if he's unarmed.

Comment

I talked my wife into going with me this year and her first out we didn't see anything. The second time she missed a doe. And her third time out she killed a button buck at about 180 yards with her .243. She is now hooked.

Comment

When I take an animal, just a quiet thank you to the animal GOD for giving us such a fine animal. Others like to laugh and jump around - each to his own.

Comment

My dad used to just hunt squirrels now i have him hooked on turkey and deer hunting

Comment

I'm in the military and every new airman that arrives on base is trying to find something to occupy their free time. So every year I make it a point to take three or four of them who have never hunted before to show them what they have been missing out on their entire lives. It's great to see the look on their face when a huge flock of ducks come in from nowhere and they fold 'em up. Then they get to try my cooking and every time it's "I didn't know duck tasted like this" which tells me I did a good job and they enjoyed the whole experience, and year after year our squadron grows and so do the ammount of hunters.It's awesome

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad