Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is interesting. My ex-mother in law Loved to deer hunt. She would absolutely bath herself in Brut aftershave for scent. She

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is interesting. My ex-mother in law Loved to deer hunt. She would absolutely bath herself in Brut aftershave for scent. She

This is interesting. My ex-mother in law Loved to deer hunt. She would absolutely bath herself in Brut aftershave for scent. She killed alot of deer this way! I personally saw a spike buck nose to ground and her trail all the way to her tree she was in. I think it was curiousity on the deers part. I have also heard of vanilla extract used to. Yall have any wierd scent tricks?

I have used fresh turned earth scent. It actually smelled quite good and smelled exactly like, well, fresh plowed field.

Comment

My cousin swears that urinating out of his tree stand doesn't bother deer. He is sixty years old and has harvest only one decent buck in forty years.
      I wonder why?

Comment

Glad to see we got away from products that mask your scent. Deer have a sense of smell 5X the best Blood Hound. They are curious maybe that's why they followed Brut. Gary maybe your cousin can't sit still or is noisy. That would contribute to his lack of luck.

Comment

Carl that is a possibility or maybe it is the fresh human urine smell lingering down on the ground?
          I use a Gatorade bottle when nature calls. I have many trophy mounts because of it.

Every Professional bow hunting Guide and Outfitter wants you to use a bottle while your bow hunting in a tree stand.
          I wonder why?

Comment

When I lived in eastern Pa., we had a lot of deer around the house, and every time I came from the roadside stand with a load of fresh produce, they would come right up to the wagon. If I came from the butcher shop they stayed away. Yes, I believe they can smell everything!

Comment

I have a friend who claims that deer are not disturbed by hunters urinating from a tree stand unless they are standing directly under it:-)

Comment

Gary there was a show called Dr. Deer. He set up a test using a car freshener and a mock scrape using his on urine. He video taped multiple Deer showing interest in both. I have a tendency to believe the validity of both; because of my experience and he wasn't trying to sell his urine. As far as a guide being careful where he urinates. That's just good sanitation. They are in the same stand multiple times. Who wants to climb down a wet ladder or sit in a stinky puddle. JMHO

Comment

My friend's father doesn't smoke but while on his deer stand fires up a Swisher Sweet cigar. He says the sweet aroma draws them in. He always kills the biggest buck every year so I guess you can't argue with success.

Comment

Gary - One buck in 40 years? No one is that bad of a hunter.

Or.....maybe your cousin isn't out there for the deer.

Comment

The area I hunt is heavy agricultural. Farmers are constantly either plowing, planting, swathing, baling or checking and feeding cattle. Deer are constantly in "contact" with humans, therefore, don't seem to be as affected by human odor.
                      Where I started hunting, it was quite the opposite. Deer seldom encountered humans. I've had those deer reverse and leave at the smell of my tracks.

Comment

Sargeo1,
                        A guy i hunt with over the years is a two pack a day cigarette smoker and has the cough to go along with it.
                        He gets a dear every year, usually a buck.
                        I have come to think they are curious of the sounds and smells.

Comment

Sargeo1,
                          A guy i hunt with over the years is a two pack a day cigarette smoker and has the cough to go along with it.
                          He gets a dear every year, usually a buck.
                          I have come to think they are curious of the sounds and smells.

Comment

all i do is play the wind and sometimes use a little doe urine around me.

Comment

Carl, the archery guides and outfitters didn't want their hunters stinking up a tree stand area. No smoking, no chewing tobacco, no throwing candy wrappers down the tree and no peeing down the tree. It was not because of a wet ladder. I was there.
                              Archery hunters need to be within thirty five yards. They need every advantage possible like being elevated in a tree stand, wearing camo, wearing face paint, shooting carbon arrows, having a great bow and a human scent free environment.
                              If you want to bow hunt the roof of a port-a-potty while smoking a butt, be my guest. Good Luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                No fires in the unit I was going to hunt, just bad conditions and part of the same National Forest as all the fires.

I am hunting a unit...
                                Today, 08:47 PM
                              • There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by crm3006
                                From Danbo: "Some of the cases that SCOTUS will hear next month. No 2A cases yet but I expect that to change."

We can only pray...
                                Today, 08:31 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by rock rat
                                Maybe you all don't understand how the legal process works. If someone isn't breaking any laws then we leave them alone here in the US. Just how things...
                                Today, 08:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X