Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive been looking for a deer rifle in .30-06 or larger, bolt action, with a nice wood stock. It needs to be under $1,000. Ive loo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive been looking for a deer rifle in .30-06 or larger, bolt action, with a nice wood stock. It needs to be under $1,000. Ive loo

Ive been looking for a deer rifle in .30-06 or larger, bolt action, with a nice wood stock. It needs to be under $1,000. Ive looked at a cz550 med lux, A-bolts, but I cant decide what i want. Any suggestions on something i havent named or suggestions on what i have named?

Id also like a rifle that has beauty, I would like a nice walnut stock, something that standsout

Comment

haha one other thing, I really like the Bavarian/European classical rifles, and i also really like carbines chambered in larger calibers, any help would be appreciated

Comment

Take a look at the Remington 700 CDL. Its a traditional walnut stock with an ebony tip on the forend, and a matte blue finish on the barrel and action. Kimber is another really nice rifle that is a smigion more than$1000 but has nice traditional wood stock. Take a good look at both and good luck on your purchase.

Comment

The CZ550 is an excellent choice. Another is the Howa 1500 stainless in .30-'06, or the Weatherby Series 2 Synthetic (about $650). I realize the S2 Synthetic doesn't have a walnut stock, but it's a great value for the money, and the stock can easily be replaced down the road with a stock from Boyd's or Stocky's. Consider a used Winchester M70 or Remington 700BDL as well. Whatever your choice, you've chosen a versatile cartridge and I hope your rifle serves you well.

Comment

I was going to second the new Winchester m70's. I have the featherweight, and it i s a very smooth, nicely finished piece. Metal finish is of a higher grade as well, at least between my cz and m70.

Comment

Savage 110.

Comment

Used Weatherby MkV, a little over your budget but you will find some that have some awesome wood.
                All other suggestions above are great choices, and do not forget Browning and Ruger.

Comment

You should be able to find a nice used Browning A-bolt, Sako 75, or Weatherby Mark V for close to your budget. A new M70 Winchester could be had for that as well.

Comment

CZ 550 is my choice hands down between the two you listed. It would be my opinion that you'll be very satisfied with it. It's a modern day square bridged mauser action...hard to go wrong.

Comment

The CZ/550 is a good choice, Take a peek at a Winchester super grade 70..or Ruger MkII carbine or Remington Mod/7 Compack in Walnut.

Comment

I like the looks and the feel of the Model 70 Featherweight. A highly reliable rifle too with its Mauser style action. I have a CZ 550. The wood is not nearly as nice and the bluing is quite thin. Other than that, it is a solid hunting rifle that shoots well and always works.

Comment

I have both used and new rifles. If you are willing to consider buying used you should have no problem finding a premium rifle in your price range. A little over a year ago I picked up a used Sako Delux in 30-06 for less than $1,000 with beautiful wood and a little engraving on the bottom metal, in California no less. I very recently bought a Weatherby Accumark (sythetic stock) for just over $1,000. Since you specified good wood I won't steer you to the Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, Tikka T3 or other less expensive although excellent rifles.

Comment

I have a Interarms Mark X 30-06 I bought from a pawn shop for $325. It's a beautiful gun and a tack driver as well. Pawn shops are willing to deal towards the end of the month. shop around its worth it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                              by jhjimbo
                              I have heard certain powder kernel shapes are more abrasive than others on the rifling. Maybe that kind should be used to keep the carbon from forming....
                              Today, 02:24 PM
                            • Another New Upper
                              by DakotaMan
                              Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                              Today, 12:54 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember...
                              Today, 02:22 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to Another New Upper
                              by DakotaMan
                              I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                              Today, 02:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X