Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best time of the day to go coyote hunting and what are the best calls to use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best time of the day to go coyote hunting and what are the best calls to use.

what is the best time of the day to go coyote hunting and what are the best calls to use.

I called one in early morning with a knight n hale rabbit distress mouth call once

Comment

morning and evening, but I have called them in during the afternoon. rabbit distress calls are good, but if hunting pressure is present in your area then that might not be a good idea. I have used fox distress, rabbit distress, and coyote barks and howls. the howls work best during the breeding season but they can work year round.

Comment

When we hunt coyotes we do so from dawn till dusk. I've called that at first light, all throughout the day, and at last light. I keep track of when the coyotes come in my field journal. 25% were called in between 9 am and 10 am. We have our best luck with jack rabbit distress calls, but when the hunting gets tough and everyone is chasing them I usually go with crow calls or woodpecker distress.

Comment

I try to scout the area and, if it looks promising (response to calls) I return the following morning at first light. I'll remain patiently...longer than I should, perhaps...until midday. I reposition if nothing develops. Yes, there are limits to my patience.

Comment

It depends on how you hunt. I like driving the prairie at sunup when many are still out looking for a meal. It is the best time to call too. Next is sundown when a few hungry predators want to get an early start on lunch. During mating season in early February or so, it is good all day. I use the mid-day to drive them out of cover where they sleep.

Comment

i have found here lately in indiana that almost anytime during early morning and late evening is a give in but here lately ive been calling in coyotes as late as 1 to 2am i dont know if it has something to do with lack of rabbits and deer in the area i am hunting but i have found this very odd behavior for the coyote norm

Comment

Originally posted by small game sportsman View Post
                I called one in early morning with a knight n hale rabbit distress mouth call once
                I am fairly new to coyote hunting and years ago (over 15 years)I remember spotlighting with a rancher at about 11pm to about 2am. More recently I have had a friend introduce me to hunting at around 8:30pm. I have been using an automated call with a variety of prey, but mainly the Cottontail rabbit call. from the looks of the previous post here, it looks like any time except the middle of the day looks to be a good time. Any other opinions?

Comment

I am fairly new to coyote hunting and years ago (over 15 years)I remember spotlighting with a rancher at about 11pm to about 2am. More recently I have had a friend introduce me to hunting at around 8:30pm. I have been using an automated call with a variety of prey, but mainly the Cottontail rabbit call. from the looks of the previous post here, it looks like any time except the middle of the day looks to be a good time. Any other opinions?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad