Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An 18-year-old high school student just bagged a new Texas-record alligator, an 800-pound 14-foot monster, using raw chicken for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tleichty1989
    replied
    22 cal to the head. I you shoot them any where else it just pisses them off. Also you don't want a large entry or exit wound because the purpose of harvest a gator typically is for its skin.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    redfishunter, forget the small axe and hatchet, you can do better then that. Use a butter knife and that should put you in the Guinness Book of World Records or inside the cemetery.
    Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    redfishunter - Maybe that's why they have their mouths taped shut. Then you only have to worry about the tail.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    My dad was a gator hunter in Central Fla back in the 50's until hunting was banned. He used a harpoon and a long handled hatchet because it was illegal to possess a gun and a light at night. One chop in the brain area after pulling the gater up to the boat was usually enough.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    The Texas Teen used a 20Ga Pump Shot Gun to take the Texas NEW Record Gator 14'4".800#s

Leave a comment:

• dukkillr
    replied
    In one of the pictures he's posing next to it with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    If there was ever a "call" for a MANGRUM calibre riffle! Gaters ud hafta be it!
    There ya go WAM! A reason for a magnum! LOL!!!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    A 12 foot, 800 pound gator?!
    GERG! Amigo! You ain't right! LOL!! .22 short indeed!

I think I'd prefer something in the "Ma Deuce" range! How about a 12 bore with slugs or 00 buck!
    .700 Nitro Express? Bazooka? A retired 20mm recoiless rifle!? A 105mm Howitzer?!
    You cain't get one uv them thangs ded enuff! LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    a.22lr will work just fine, up close and personal,placement,placement,placement!

Leave a comment:

• GERG
    replied
    A .22 short in the right spot will suffice.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    99explorer not if you do it right the first time!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I've heard they sometimes come alive after you get them in the boat with you. Yikes!

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    The .22Mag or 38 Caliber Bang Stick are used for gators on a Bait Hook in Fl. other use .22Lr Guns on TVs Swamp people.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Now, if I was hunting Africa’s Nile River Crocodiles, I would take a machine gun and a few granates.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    The gator hunters on the television show called "Swamp People" use a 22 rifle and shoot their caught gator in the head. It works well and kills them dead.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad