Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An 18-year-old high school student just bagged a new Texas-record alligator, an 800-pound 14-foot monster, using raw chicken for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An 18-year-old high school student just bagged a new Texas-record alligator, an 800-pound 14-foot monster, using raw chicken for

An 18-year-old high school student just bagged a new Texas-record alligator, an 800-pound 14-foot monster, using raw chicken for bait. The report doesn't say what caliber rifle he used. What would be an appropriate alligator rifle?

.22 cal to the head should be enough as long as it hits the brain.

Comment

On swamp people they use a 22 when they have one on the end a line. All the shots are at point blank so I suppose a 22 will suffice. I'm not sure if its the standard 22lr or what but I'm guessing they use magnums.

Comment

The gator hunters on the television show called "Swamp People" use a 22 rifle and shoot their caught gator in the head. It works well and kills them dead.

Comment

Now, if I was hunting Africa’s Nile River Crocodiles, I would take a machine gun and a few granates.

Comment

The .22Mag or 38 Caliber Bang Stick are used for gators on a Bait Hook in Fl. other use .22Lr Guns on TVs Swamp people.

Comment

I've heard they sometimes come alive after you get them in the boat with you. Yikes!

Comment

99explorer not if you do it right the first time!

Comment

A .22 short in the right spot will suffice.

Comment

a.22lr will work just fine, up close and personal,placement,placement,placement!

Comment

A 12 foot, 800 pound gator?!
                      GERG! Amigo! You ain't right! LOL!! .22 short indeed!

I think I'd prefer something in the "Ma Deuce" range! How about a 12 bore with slugs or 00 buck!
                      .700 Nitro Express? Bazooka? A retired 20mm recoiless rifle!? A 105mm Howitzer?!
                      You cain't get one uv them thangs ded enuff! LOL!!

Comment

If there was ever a "call" for a MANGRUM calibre riffle! Gaters ud hafta be it!
                        There ya go WAM! A reason for a magnum! LOL!!!

Comment

In one of the pictures he's posing next to it with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Comment

The Texas Teen used a 20Ga Pump Shot Gun to take the Texas NEW Record Gator 14'4".800#s

Comment

My dad was a gator hunter in Central Fla back in the 50's until hunting was banned. He used a harpoon and a long handled hatchet because it was illegal to possess a gun and a light at night. One chop in the brain area after pulling the gater up to the boat was usually enough.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad