Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, just snooped on the internet and found out that my hunting partner in crime Lance and I both drew mule deer tags for our u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idduckhntr,
    When I say low, I mean I am conserving RL 22 and 25 powders and not doing much load development until supplies are more available. I have an adequate supply of MagPro, AA 2460, 4350, and RL 19 to maintain my shooting practice well into the next decade. Bullets, too.

Comment

Wam,
      I am in the same situation with powder. I have been loading for this dang 38 super and pistol powder is like gold over here.

Comment

DakotaMan,

Thanks! Tag drawing time is almost as exciting as the hunt to me. I'm sure you will have a good hunt in MT and best of luck to you and all the hunters venturing out West this year.

I self-impose a 300 yard limit on shots with the .35 Whelen even though I have a Leupold CDS turret installed calibrated to the 225 Accubond @ 2,700 fps load at 7,000 feet. I did kill a bull with one shot with it four years ago with a factory 225 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw at 308 measured yards (after the shot). The 7mm Wby is death itself on deer and elk at any range you can hit them. Same with the .300 Roy. For the open range mule deer hunting, the 7mm Wby is probably the best rifle that I own. I am sure there are others just as good or more well suited to their owners.

Cheers

Comment

WAM- Is that back in the Craig, CO area?
          We are going back to NM this year, and I will stick with the ever faithful Old Ugly '06 and 165 gr. Accubonds, and the .338 Win Mag. with the 180 Accubonds. Good luck to all!
          crm

Comment

crm3006 - Not back to Craig, CO this year. Too many of the gang opted out this year and Lance and I are hooked up with some of his old hunting buddies that have had a lease for 30 seasons north of Grand Junction. I have never hunted that unit before and may go back to Craig next year. Maybe I should take the '06 for a change in luck!

Cheers

Comment

Dakota, I may loop down that way looking for some new bird hunting digs. The three dogs will be in tow so it may not be possible for me to shoot your elk for you. ;-) But I guess I could show you how to do it ... and stick my foot up your poop chute when you muff it. Seriously, it would be great to get out and stretch my legs in the mountains again but will have to wait for my brother to bring my big pistol over from the West Side when he meets me in Havre. I can't carry a big game rifle when bird hunting (or maybe I can but I won't) so I would have to do the unthinkable and strap on the .357 hog-leg. Ugh! Oh well, do what ya gotta do. Actually, I don't think I have ever worn one of my sidearms on my side. The .22 will still go in the backpack. No need to be in a hurry to shoot grouse. Something big and furry with teeth and claws might be a different matter. Also, some of the hunters out and about that first week (especially the partying types!) can be more dangerous than the predacious wildlife.

Comment

OH, it would be an honor to meet you and your dogs. If you want to stomp the hills there a little and show me how to do it, that would be even better! I can bring along a .44 Mag for you to carry if you like. It's not a fancy one, but it shoots accurately and the thunder will sure tell me where to begin looking for your remains ;-).

Comment

Thanks but .44 is too much weight. Six inch Highway Patrolman is probably more than I'd want to carry but it'll have to do.

We'll see if I can swing it. I formerly packed horses for USFS in the Avon area. Where abouts are you guys going to be hunting? Has your wrangler ever packed meat before? Or has he ever packed anything? I can certainly get you guys headed in the right direction re the techniques with horses and long before you head west. I can do that long distance easily (though I would sure like to be doing it hands on again). If you get your elk over with quickly it might also be possible to run up to the Hi-Line and take a deer. Can't guarantee a monster buck but shooting something with horns shouldn't be a problem. And certainly nothing wrong with taking a big dry doe muley if worse comes to worse. They eat just fine.

Comment

OH... I'll be hunting in Unit 318, near Basin. I'm going with my brother-in-law from South Dakota. He's a horse trainer who has hunted this area 4 times before but we chose it because we are both old and have bad knees. He's taken many nice elk in his lifetime, one 7-pointer would probably rival that beauty that you took long ago.

He's taken a couple of nice bulls there but most importantly, we can hunt fairly close to base camp and stay at elevations between 5000 and 6000 feet with limited climbing. We are buying horses in South Dakota before the trip and selling them on the way home. He'll train them to pack meat for a month or two before the hunt. They are mainly pack horses but we'll also use them to haul our carcasses off the mountain if our knees give out. He has done this since we were kids so I don't have too many worries regarding logistics.

We buy weed free hay and get it certified in S.Dak. where he gets a good deal on it and he has a nice portable corral and a good tent. We will be going to the restaurant for meals and hunting most of the time. My deer tag is only good in Unit 318 but I might buy an over the counter for other counties if I get lucky and fill my elk tag early.

I don't know how to best exchange emails on this site but certainly welcome all the advice you would be willing to provide. Thanks much!

Comment

Have not drawn any tags, but I received an envelope full of tickets from Tuscaloosa last Friday, I think they will be enjoyed.

RTR,

Robert

Comment

Robert,

Don't rub it in! Hope to see you in Atlanta!

RTR

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to New York attorney general...........
                          by JonathanPeters
                          You know, I can’t often understand how America actually works. I often become so puzzled by how our system works. You know, I’m a regular worker....
                          Today, 04:49 AM
                        • New York attorney general...........
                          by bowhunter75richard
                          .........is planning a probe into the Trump family business ! Now that should certainly make people scratch their heads in wonderment as to how the biden...
                          01-03-2022, 01:14 PM
                        • Reply to 40 year old rookie
                          by Old_Sarge
                          First congratulations on getting your first deer. That’s pretty dog gone awesome that you have taken up hunt at that age. I’m starting to see more...
                          Today, 02:57 AM
                        • 40 year old rookie
                          by Coach79
                          Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
                          01-20-2020, 08:12 AM
                        • Another Parade Shooting Thwarted
                          by jhjimbo
                          Two illegals from Guatemala who planned to shoot up another July 4 parade in Richmond were arrested when a person gave a tip about their plans. AP report...
                          Today, 02:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X