Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, just snooped on the internet and found out that my hunting partner in crime Lance and I both drew mule deer tags for our u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, just snooped on the internet and found out that my hunting partner in crime Lance and I both drew mule deer tags for our u

Well, just snooped on the internet and found out that my hunting partner in crime Lance and I both drew mule deer tags for our unit in Colorado. Now the selection and grooming of the deer rifle begins. Elk results due out next week, but not sweating that cow tag application. How many of you have drawn tags for limited hunts this year? Best of luck to all! WAM

Can I go too?!

Comment

Wam, shoot the 7mm WBY. I load mine with a 160 Accubond with R22.

Comment

I believe I will be lucky enough to draw a tag for the elusive Preference Point in Colorado. Cousin of the elk, but much easier to procure.

This will be my third in a row, so should draw for it's bigger cousin next year if the stars align for a hunt.

By the by...last elk hunt in Colorado I shot a Ruger M77 in 338 Win Mag. Got caught in a late October blizzard, never mad it to elevation, and ended up taking the onliest elk my party saw (until the day I left camp, of course) which was a smallish spike with flesh like butter. Small enough and placed close enough to access that we could hoist it entire into the rear end of my truck (no quartering) and therefore I had the hide tanned as a trophy. I run my fingers across it every morning on the way down the hall, and my boys used to go tell it "thanks" for the meal after finishing their "elkburger helper" or what not.

Comment

I thought seriously about applying for at least a deer tag in Montana this year but decided that dealing with one would just be too much hassle. And a lot more meat than I need. Shooting a buck certainly wouldn't be a problem! Pretty much on demand. On four different occasions I took four guys out to get their bucks last fall and the longest it took was three hours. Usually saw a dozen to fifty deer a day while hunting pheasants. Would love to shoot one again but I'm satisfied gutting and dragging them out for others. I'm not real thrilled about butchering (though pretty dang good at it) so that's usually left to the shooters. I am thinking seriously about returning to the West Side this fall and hiking up the mountain where I shot most of my elk. Lots of blue grouse up there. It would be nice to see that country one last time before my wheels give out. Hopefully it hasn't changed. Will break my heart if it has. A lot depends on how my daughter makes out with this pregnancy. She's nearly in the barn. They may induce next week. Still no name. I'm leaning towards Ted Williams ... could call him Teddy Bill. He would probably be born with a lip full of chewing tobacco. Ugh!

Comment

WAM,
            Which will it be 7mm Weatherby Magnum or 30-06? I'm betting it will be a Weatherby...lol.

Comment

Congrats WAM! Best of luck to you on your hunt. I like the 7mm Mag for mule deer but if you will be hunting elk at the same time, your .300 Wby sounds pretty good to me with the 7mm as backup. I always like the idea of your .35 Whelen for elk but think it is a little slow for mule deer. I like to be able to crack them on the run and 7mm speed makes it quite predictable.

I'm set with a SW Montana elk tag and a deer tag too. They just came in the mail today and I am sleeping with them for the rest of this month just for the fun of it!

Comment

OH, if you are in the area between Butte and Helena the first week of rifle season or a few days before, stop by for a day or two. Would love to jaw with you any time and I expect the mountains to be a slice of heaven. Sounds like this might be a ways from your happy hunting ground but you never know.

Comment

What unit did you draw? I tried the website but couldn't get on to find out about my tags. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Crapped out on deer, buddy got his. I should be ok on elk (limited draw area archery) and same location/season as my hunting partner. I doubt he will draw an elk so at least we have one of each between us.

We both drew pronghorn in CO (rifle) (backdoor just posted)

CDOW cut tags in a few areas, unfortunately my deer area was one.

I hope WY is good to us.

Comment

Not traveling out west this year unless I win some some RMEF raffles I put in for. Purchased mule deer point in colorado, moose point in Maine, will buy points in Wyoming for deer, elk, and pronghorn. Will have 5 deer points in wyoming after this year; waiting for a red desert hunt. Struck out for elk in kentucky. Of course I'll have 2 bow and 2 gun tags and whitetails here in IL and a fall turkey archery and shotgun permit.

Comment

idduckhntr,
                        I am leaning towards the 7mm WBY with the Barnes TTSX load I have already worked up w/ MagPro. I have about 100 each 160 gr Accubonds, but I am a little shy on RL 22 since I loaded some up for my son. I'll probably take the .300 Wby along loaded with 168 gr TTSX also. Decisions, decisions....

Comment

I have to wait for June 15th to find out for a moose tag in Maine. I drew 3 years ago, so I doubt I'll pull a tag. Although I have my own application this year (after a 2 year wait), plus I'm sub-permittee on 2 others, so my odds are better....though not by much.

Comment

well I already posted this but I am so ecited I will post again, I drew an Elk tag for the Missouri Breaks. got 9 solid days of hunting lined out. Stil no word on my other tags yet though.

Comment

WAM
                              I am low on 22 myself but have a little R25 left and 3 boxes loaded. Still waiting for draw results.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad