Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What make and model would you recommend as a slug gun for deer hunting in Illinois?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What make and model would you recommend as a slug gun for deer hunting in Illinois?

What make and model would you recommend as a slug gun for deer hunting in Illinois?

I hunt with a stoeger single barrel classic and a ranger model 30. both are smooth bores, but I can hit deer out to 60 yards with the ranger, and 40 with the stoeger. if you want one with a rifled barrel,the savage 220 and the h&r ultra slug hunter are supposed to be good.

Comment

marlin slug master is a good gun very accurate and fairly cheap. remington 870 and mossberg 500 are nice because you can get rifled barrels for them. i use a mossberg 500 20ga smooth bore.

Comment

The Marlin slugmaster is great if you can find one. I would definitely go for a fully rifled barrel, whatever you get. The savage 220 is also good.

Comment

No question, the browning A-bolt. I bought one when they first came to market in the mid to late nineties. Best firearm purchase I have ever made. I wouldn't mess around with pump shotgun conversions unless you think all your shots will be within 75 yards. As far as single shots, I hear really good things about the h&r ultra slug.

Comment

I like and still use my Ithaca Mod 37-Feather lite 12Ga,2.3/4" With a Slug Barrel with a 2.5x32 Scope,
            The slugs i like the most are Remington Copper/HP.

Comment

Savage 220 is said to be the best slug gun out there

Comment

My dad has the h&r ultra slug in 20ga and it shoots great. I have a rem 870 in 12ga with a fully rifled barrel and a scope and kill deer past 100 yards every year. I can get half dollar sized groups at 60 yards. Killed a buck at 130 yards with a heart shot 2 years ago. Very happy with it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                  by jhjimbo
                  So sorry for your loss....
                  Today, 10:40 AM
                • More Bad News....
                  by WA Mtnhunter
                  My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                  07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                • Reply to More Bad News....
                  by Amflyer
                  Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                  Today, 10:26 AM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                  Today, 09:38 AM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X