• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do deer ever sit ?

Do deer ever sit ?

Here is a link - add the 3 w's.

flickr.com/photos/jrnikon/3157312823/

Comment

jhjimbo - That's not necessarily a deer sitting. The deer pictured looks like a deer that is trying to get up from a laying down position and got photographed in the middle of trying to stand up.

In all the years I have been working with deer and hunting them, I have never seen one sit. They're either laying down or standing. It doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it.

Comment

I would tend to think that they would do it about as often a horse, some will remain "seated" for longer periods, however it is most always in between laying and standing. More of a stretching pose than sitting down.

Comment

That picture could have been photoshopped. I have been around pen-raised deer for years, and have never seen a deer sitting, or a picture of a deer sitting.

Comment

Horses rise front first. Cattle (and deer too!) rise rear first.
            I would have thought Bioguy would have known that.
            BTW, horses lay down butt first, deer and cattle front end first.

Comment

Bubba- thank you for that, reading your post was humbling, seeing as I misinformed the masses in my above post. +1

Comment

perhaps the deer is injured or has a birth defect ??

Comment

Bubba's observation is a good one.
                  I knew that, but didn't think of it.
                  Probably the same with Bioguy and the others.

Comment

I have never seen a deer sit. I couldn't find anything on the net, either. I think because deer are prey animals they need all four legs ready to spring up from the laying position. Predators like a lion, fox, coyote or a feral cat do sit.

The F&S 2013 Spring Round One contest I posted a sitting black bear. The bear sat similar to a human sitting on the ground and was staring at my trail camera. My sitting bear trail cam photo in the link below.

www.fieldandstream.com/contest_entry/1001487732?page=43&cmpid=enews040313&spPodID=020&s pMailingID=5327328&spUserID=MjIzNTcyMTc2NTIS1&spJo bID=315843012&spReportId=MzE1ODQzMDEyS0&pnid=10014 87892

Comment

They can be traing to "Sit", but have trouble with "Stay" and "Back".

Comment

Firstbubba - I call 'em like I see 'em, and apparently this deer didn't read the rule book.

If you look at the picture, you can see that the animal was bedded down and is rising. This is evidenced by the crusted snow on the deer's fur on the hind quarter and on the chest, and the circular outline of what looks like a bed on the right-hand side of the photo. Her eyes and ears tell me that she is alert, and might be stuck in a "half-rise" position trying to get a better look at the photographer taking her picture.

Comment

First, I wasn't trying to be critical.
                          Actually, I didn't even look at the photo, until now.
                          My take?
                          The doe was caught in a awkward moment squatting to urinate.

That said. Mother Nature has no rule she won't break at her whim!

Comment

Yes whitetail deer sit down. I have a deer that visit my backyard everyday. I leave food and fruits and then she sits for 20-30 min at the time because it is a quiet area and she feels safe.

Comment

Yes whitetail deer sit down. I have a deer that visit my backyard everyday. I leave food and fruits and then she sits for 20-30 min at the time because it is a quiet area and she feels safe.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                                Today, 02:20 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                                by DakotaMan
                                He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                                Today, 02:11 PM
                                by PigHunter
                                That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                                Today, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                                Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X