Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so turns out where I will be hunting the max range is about 40-50 yards. I am now looking into a slug gun, I was looking at t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so turns out where I will be hunting the max range is about 40-50 yards. I am now looking into a slug gun, I was looking at t

Ok so turns out where I will be hunting the max range is about 40-50 yards. I am now looking into a slug gun, I was looking at the H&R; Tracker II with iron sights because I am not big on scope for shotguns. 20 or 12 gauge is my real question and if anybody has expierience with it how do you like it? Sorry

Wont let me edit the qestion sorry if its miscategorized

Comment

I killed my first deer with a 12 guage slug from a smooth bore Remmington. At 12 feet, thats right feet, it doesn't really matter what its down range accuracy is.

But I practiced on a piece of firewood in the backyard at 40 yards and hit the same hole with two shots.

At such a short range, either will serve you well. But my personal preference is a 12ga.

Comment

I have shot 4 deer with 20 gauges. the first was shot in the neck, and she dropped. second in the shoulder, and he dropped. third was quartering towards me and I shot through a blowdown and he ran 30 yards and was done. finally, the fourth was hit a little low but he ran 50-70 yards until he fell over, and he left a pretty good blood trail. it is good enough for what you will use it for

Comment

Both are powerful enough to take any size deer at that distance. It just matters on wether you want to shoot a 12 or 20 gauge based on recoil and cost of shooting/availability of ammo where you live.

Comment

It shoots up to 3" shells. I told someone I mow for what he thought and he said it comes down to if I want the snot kicked out of me or not. I think I am going with 20 gauge, are 3" any better than 23/4"?

Comment

With 12Ga or 20Ga, 2 3/4" Slugs will do the JOB at the short ranges, My pick would be a 20Ga with Brenneke Slugs. Safe Hunting~Good Luck.

Comment

They have rifled barrels so is there a specific type of slugs I should use?

Comment

you will need to use sabot slugs.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I've got the HR. in 20 ga.Didn't get to hunt last fall, had some issues sighting it in. I bought a led sled this winter and will start over soon! Good looking gun for the price,I read some where about gun smiths shortening the barrel to dial them in.

Comment

@Trapper Vic, it's the iron sights? if I have trouble with it I have my uncle to help me who's been hunting for about 62 years i'm sure he has a trick lol

Comment

At that range both will work fine. The trick, as always, is to put the slug in the right place and then there is no question about which is better. I prefer the 12 gauge myself because of a larger diameter hole. A shotgun does not have nearly as much shocking power as a rifle so penetration and wound size count. The heavier, larger diameter slug always made sense to me and always worked fine too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad