Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a question for you more experienced deer hunters out there, I have said in another post that this will be my first deer sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a question for you more experienced deer hunters out there, I have said in another post that this will be my first deer sea

Just a question for you more experienced deer hunters out there, I have said in another post that this will be my first deer season. I really just wanted to know if I should invest in the hunting specific camo or if I should just use the old woodland BDU's my dad gave me

JMO~That's your call, Nothing wrong with Old Woodland BDU's if they fit, I hunted for years in Jeans and red/black Plaid Shirt as a poor farm boy.

PS: That's when Plaid was Cool.Lol

Comment

I would suggest you stay with the free-for-nothing BDU's your dad gave you until you gain enough experience to form your own opinion.

Comment

That old woodland camo is just fine. Deer see motion, so if you can stay still and not skyline yourself, you'll see plenty of deer. The only time you need special camo is for real close range hunting like turkey hunting or archery. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Thanks, from what I know along with motion they will smell you before they see you most of the time. @Treestand, my great-grandfather wore pants and a flannel shirt so I get where you are coming from

Comment

Ouch Treestand.... Why'd he have to say it like that??? J/k LOL

Comment

The Benoits don't seem to need a specific camo and they seem to have plenty of venison. Work on your woodsmanship and don't worry as much about the camo. Blaze orange is more important with firearms anyway.

Comment

Ouch?
                "I" wear flannel shirts and jeans!

Comment

@007, it's private land so no one but my uncle and his kids are supposed to be on it. LOLh what I meant by I get where he's coming from is that my great-grandfather used what he had at his disposal like treestand.

Comment

Bubba- it read to me like Dran was attempting to liken his greatgrand daddy's age to that of Mr. Treestands. It was only a joke based on my quick reading of his writing. if Maine law would allow it, I'd be in flannel in my deerstand as well.

Comment

99Explorer got it right. I would not invest too much money when your just starting out. There will be plenty of time and other hunting toys to sink bigger chunks of your paycheck into as the hunting bug grabs you. Besides, you can get by without the name brand camo until you have enough experience to decide for yourself.

I guess I disagree with many others about the importance of camo. I know its possible to kill deer in a t-shirt and jeans if you want to, but if you want consistant close encounters (inside bow range), I suggest wearing camo.

Comment

Another red wool plaid and wool trouser guy here. I am less concerned with the deer seeing me and more concerned about trigger-happy hunters tossing lead at me, so I stick with red or plaid and it has served me decently.
                        On the other hand, I do wear camouflage for coyotes because I usually set up on private property (ranch) for coyotes.

Comment

Dran,
                          Even on private land i would still wear some blaze orange so your relatives do not mistake you for game.

Comment

007, I read Larry Benoit's book "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of your Life". I was wearing green and black wool clothing in Maine while hunting. I was copying the Benoit family style of hunting. I was way back deep in the wilderness hunting and didn't know there was another logging road at the back end. Another hunter stood up and I was shocked because I though I was far away from the masses. He told me I should wear orange for safety. The hunter also said he had his gun up thinking I was a buck coming through the bush. That was all I needed to hear. Now I where orange clothing all the time while gun hunting. The damn loggers log out so much in Maine you never know when a new logging road will pop up.

Comment

Our group hunts private land exclusively in the general firearms season and we do NOT venture into the woods without the blaze orange, period.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad