Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody ever hunt turkeys with a bow if so how hard is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody ever hunt turkeys with a bow if so how hard is it?

anybody ever hunt turkeys with a bow if so how hard is it?

in a word...very. A turkey's best defense is its eyesight. Drawing a bow is a lot of movement and more than enough to spook an approaching tom.

Also broadhead penetration can be an issue. You may not believe it, but a turkey's layers of feathers is quite good protection. Good enough that based on shot placement, size of target, and penentration, shots should not be taken from beyond 25 yards. This means you have to call them in even closer giving the bird more time to pick you off.

The three best targets are chest(just above beard and below waddles), wing joint (side), and straight up the ol' rear from the back. A head/neck shot is very difficult shot on a moving target the size of your fist.

Groundblinds will obviously help and improve your chances but that means limiting your anbility to move when needed. Chasing them without one means you must be in complete control of your movements.

challenging, extremely exciting, and very rewarding.

Good luck!

Comment

it is extremely hard i have shot at 6 turkeys with a bow and every time the arrow deflect of the wing then when my arrow landed the bird went over and started pecking it!
      and yes they were wild turkeys
      the bow was set at 40-50 lbs 28 in. draw and i was useing a rage 3 blade broadhead

Comment

of is supposed to be off

Comment

I've shot two turkeys during Pennsylvania's overlap between deer archery and fall turkey. I missed one other one that jumped/flew over the arrow. One turkey was from a tree stand and the other from a brush and golden rod makeshift ground blind. Both were targets of opportunity. I was deer hunting. One shot was a little over 15 yards. The other was about 12 yards.

Like DEER said, their eyesight is the issue combined with the fact that most of the time you'll be dealing with the eyesight of multiple turkeys. I was sucessful both times by remaining absolutely still until I had a shot and then making one quick fluid "snap" shot at the bird, basically drawing and aiming at the same time and releasing the arrow when the red pin on the sight hit center mass on the turkey. I hit both birds center mass and the arrow passed straight through and well beyond. Neither bird went more than a few yards from the shot.

If you want to try for a turkey, I'd suggest practicing quick, snap shots. Think wing shooting with a shot gun instead of aiming a rifle.

Comment

Shooting turkey from a ground blind is easy. Shooting birds from a tree stand is a little harder. Spot and stalk turkey with a recurve is damn near impossible. Have done it only once.

Fixed blade heads are a must. It is difficult to penetrate the layers of feathers.

Comment

I actually think it is pretty easy if you can ambush them on common paths. I've only shot one with a bow but my brother has gotten about 30 or so. He finds a fence row they follow between the timber roost and food source. He sits quietly in a blind and waits for them to walk by. We aim right above the drumstick with a plain old Muzzy and that seems to work quite well. Calling them is tougher because they are very alert to motion. My brother has taken quite a few that way but generally waits until they are mounting his decoy and their attention to the rest of the world is at a minimum.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad