Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal to take a turkey with a high-powered air rifle in Georgia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to take a turkey with a high-powered air rifle in Georgia?

Is it legal to take a turkey with a high-powered air rifle in Georgia?

It is illegal to take any large game with an air rifle, with the exception of hogs during small game seasons (but why would you try to kill a 250# hog with a BB gun anyway!). BTW I live in Georgia so I am not guessing, you will be busted!

Comment

Under the "Legal Firearms" for turkeys section of GA's regs: "Shotguns with No. 2 or smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm."

I am also a GA resident and the game wardens are on patrol, especially in Nat. Forest areas.

Comment

I'll put it this way...it's not legal to shoot squirrels in GA with an air gun, much less a turkey.

Comment

I dont know about that last one. I know tons of people who shoot squirrels with air rifles in GA. I'll have to look into that one.

Comment

Small Game & Furbearer Firearms
            •Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
            •Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.
            •Shotguns (Waterfowl): Any 10-gauge or smaller loaded with federally approved nontoxic shot of size “F” or smaller. Lead shot may not be in possession while hunting waterfowl.

Always check the regs before you hunt: www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/general-hunting-information/

Comment

Pellet rifles are legal to use to hunt small game.

Comment

However it seems from another post Michael has made (the one about shooting a deer at 83yd.s with a .177 pellet rifle) he is not very concerned about legal ramifications for breaking hunting regulations.
                DEER30, we must have been typing at the same time!

Comment

Possible? Probably so, but why?

Comment

I've heard that its legal in California to hunt turkey with air rifles but I have yet to find any SOLID FACTS about MINIMUM firearm requirements for GA turkeys. As for mspl8sdcntryboy... I wrote that as a joke to my friend who also happens a member on F&S. Please do not take what I said seriously, for I am quite farmiliar with Ga's hunting laws and requlations and repect them immensley. As for turkeys, I guess my remington will do (I was just curious). Thanks everyone!

Comment

mspl8sdcntryboy - I was just faster on the draw this time!lol

Comment

Deer30 I'm your huckleberry!
                        Michael, thanks for the clarification, but you might want to watch what you say, you could end up getting into a lot of trouble saying something in jest without indications it is in jest. If they had wanted to, the forum masters (F&S online editors) could have locked your account to prevent any illegal activity being reported on here.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the warning. Maybe I should'nt joke around as much!lol. But after all, I'm young, I make mistakes!

Comment

Well I ain't exactly an old codger! Just a cautious young'n!

Comment

"I dont know about that last one. I know tons of people who shoot squirrels with air rifles in GA. I'll have to look into that one."

And now you know why I usually say "Refer to your state's rules and regulations" I can remember exactly where I heard that it was illegal to take squirrels with an air rifle, because I was kind of shocked, but the person I heard it from was a hunter safety instructor, so I assumed he was right and you know what happens when you assume something right? Deer30's got the correct answer.

Legal firearms for turkeys in GA (according to the rule book: Shotguns with No. 2 or smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm.

If you ever have a question on rules and regulations, refer to the rule book and if the answer still remains unclear, call the DNR and talk with a conservation officer. Don't ever listen to people on internet forums ;-)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad