Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With all the questions about public land, this seems appropriate. What is the biggest difference you have seen between states pu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all the questions about public land, this seems appropriate. What is the biggest difference you have seen between states pu

With all the questions about public land, this seems appropriate. What is the biggest difference you have seen between states public land?

I have hunted WI and MI land, along with some IN land. WI and MI land was plentiful in the areas we were hunting, but there are few public opportunities around my part of IN.

Comment

i moved from Texas to New Mexico the big difference is that NM has LOTS of public land where game is plentiful though you have to work for it. In texas not so much.

Comment

What I don't like about state land is other people are out in the same woods. There are hikers, mountain bike riders, backpackers, bird watchers, squirrel hunters, tree huggers and small game hunters. When I am bow hunting for a nice buck it is hard to compete with the entire Zulu Nation.

Private land is just me, myself and I.
        Oh, I forgot and the nice bucks walking around on private land undisturbed.

Comment

I hunt black bear on public land. I am the first vehicle to pull up in the dark early morning because I walk in deep to get away from the rat race.

Comment

New York has the Adirondack Park, about 6,000,000 acres with much of it designated 'forever wild' which means no construction of anything on it.
            Ohio has a fair amount of public land and hunting opportunities.

Comment

i do pretty well hunting grouse on MI public lands, not doing well in the deer department, usually orange behind every tree. hunted public land for deer in PA. from the area ive hunted, they were plentiful, and there was no shortage of nice bucks. attribute it directly to APR's.

Comment

Montana has plenty of public lands whether it be National Forests, BLM, State school sections, or private land open to the public via the Block Management system. Sometimes there is plenty of orange to be seen in the National forest, but most of them don't know the country well so they stay close to the roads, my father has taken 3 really nice whitetails, the smallest scores in the mid 150s, by getting way in deep, well away from everyone. If crowds are a problem hunt non peak days, think Tuesday-Thursday, of course I know that isn't always an option. If school sections are an option available to you scout them out, most people don't know where they are, hunted one just outside of town this year, a secondary road cuts 20 acres off of it, short drive, quick walk into the hills. A bunch of mule deer travel from the private owned land where they bed through the school section into a wheat field on the other side. The more you study your options the more options you might end up having.

Comment

Florida has 2,000,000+ acres of WMA, The Bad Part is Open-Day of all the Seasons Start on a Saturday not on a monday, I have found that hunting on Wed,Thu,friday are the best day's to hunt WMA, Bow Season is the Best for a "Bullwinkle" or a Doe...with Tons of Blood sucking Skeeters.

Comment

Biggest differences I've noticed is some states actively manage their public lands for wildlife (plant food plots, administer harvest limitations beyond the normal regulations, limit the number of hunters, create cover, etc.), and others do not. Those that do manage public lands for wildlife often have happy hunters. Those that do not manage their public lands for wildlife often have hunters that complain about how terrible the hunting is on public lands.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                      by PigHunter
                      Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                      Today, 06:44 PM
                    • How do you fly ?
                      by jhjimbo
                      Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                      Today, 04:18 PM
                    • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                      by PigHunter
                      Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                      Today, 06:35 PM
                    • Handgun Laser Sights
                      by PigHunter
                      On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                      08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                    • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                      by PigHunter
                      Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                      Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X